Tree CLIMBER wages?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Bill wearing any PPE? :msp_mellow:

Groundie isn't!!! Is that you?

Guilty. My best PPE is common sense. I do put on a forestry helmet when feeding the Intimidator. I was not running a chainsaw this day, chipper has a winch. I know a ball cap is not PPE , but this tree was not dead, and I felt no over head threat. Plus it was *94.

What's with that hand in the tree?
Looks pretty tit to me as well.

The hand is my PC mouse left in the cell pic. I always do a digital video of HO property before and after, as well as several still shots during the job. My insurance lady loves it, and when my beloved customers see me shooting video of their houses, fences, landscaping, etc, before starting work, it keeps the possible scammers away.

And just curious, what looks "tit" to you about this? Thanks!

No offense but I hope u realize that tree isnt jack diddly squat. Just saying.

It was not a Jack Diddly, it was just a Silver Maple. :msp_biggrin:

This tree was 3 hours of fun! Fifty feet away on the back of this property is four sand volleyball courts. This day there was 300 college girls having a tournament. They would stop playing to watch and cheer when a limb swung down. After the job was fun as well! :rock:

Guilty. My best PPE is common sense. I do put on a forestry helmet when feeding the Intimidator. I was not running a chainsaw this day, chipper has a winch. I know a ball cap is not PPE , but this tree was not dead, and I felt no over head threat. Plus it was *94.

The photo and this comment have revealed a lot to us experienced tree climbers. Your climber's nothing special, and your not that smart. Any-time you have someone above you in a tree, working with a chainsaw there is plenty of risk to the groundie below. Doesn't matter if the tree is dead or not, a teeny tiny branch falling from 30' will put in a gash in your head. Leaving stubs is a sign of a true novice, not the worlds greatest tree climber that deserves beer boughten for him on the spot.

I'm not saying wearing PPE is a sign of knowing what you are doing. But not wearing BASIC PPE is usually a sure sign that you don't know what your doing. Beyond safety, a hard hat is the most visible form of PPE. Which helps keep the osha guys from walking onto the job-site. If they see all the basic PPE from the road they usually just move on.

And by tits they mean that tree was easy, any mediocre climber could handle that tree without much trouble.

The photo and this comment have revealed a lot to us experienced tree climbers. Your climber's nothing special, and your not that smart. Any-time you have someone above you in a tree, working with a chainsaw there is plenty of risk to the groundie below. Doesn't matter if the tree is dead or not, a teeny tiny branch falling from 30' will put in a gash in your head. Leaving stubs is a sign of a true novice, not the worlds greatest tree climber that deserves beer boughten for him on the spot.

I'm not saying wearing PPE is a sign of knowing what you are doing. But not wearing BASIC PPE is usually a sure sign that you don't know what your doing. Beyond safety, a hard hat is the most visible form of PPE. Which helps keep the osha guys from walking onto the job-site. If they see all the basic PPE from the road they usually just move on.

And by tits they mean that tree was easy, any mediocre climber could handle that tree without much trouble.

Thank you. I understand about the PPE, and you are 100% right, I would have been safer wearing my helmet, and usually do. I posted photo knowing I would hear about it from someone. The angles and length of the stubs were left on prupose, swing brake to protect house. And my brother in law may not be anything special, I mean , 25 years straight as a climber for one company in northeast IL, and you call him a "novice". Well, that's why I came on here finally, to learn more from you pros. Don't worry about the beer, I'll buy it.

I hear ya, 94 degrees. Wearin PPE sucks, chaps and hard hats, and the ear pro. And usually nothin happens... Here in Oregon it doesn't get too hot, a few weeks over 90 usually, but we are required to wear chaps, even IN the tree!

With all those girls around you wouldn't look as cool probably either!

I for one think all the protection IS cool, shows we know what we're doin, and that it is a tad dangerous and we are ready for anything. Plus you look more official when tellin bystanders to stand aside, even the cute ones...makes you look more powerful...

Glad you had fun, gotta love an audience, specially one like that, your own personal cheer leading squad!

Of course you KNEW you'd get called out on the PPE. You've taken your hits here well, keep postin and have fun on the islands

You on the big island by any chance? I'm not kiddin bout climbing coconut trees barefoot...

By tit I mean easy. Run of the mill, day in and day out kind of job

Gotcha. Just a half day in and out with winch and the mustang, no bucket access. But this job was tits no question. Pulled several pics with the ladies, will try to post them soon, not sure which forum though.

I am only now making what i feel is decent money for what I do. I can climb the unclimbable. I can handle any situation that might arise during a job on the ground or in the tree. I don't need to be supervised, I'm dependable. I can go on, but bottom line is I've only started making over 20 dollars an hour these last few years. For 10 years I was in the 15 to 20 dollar an hour bracket. That's top wages around here. That is really hardly a living wage. I'm lucky my wife makes like 65,000 a year.
I love climbing trees, its not even work to me. I look forward to each days job. Quickest way to get me to do a job is have something interesting, dangerous, or difficult, all three I might do it for free(but probably not)
I'm not much of a business man. I do a lot of side job and are giving jobs from other Company's to small for them or what not, but make most my money working on a contract basis. I get bored easy and enjoy working for different companys. I made close to 50,000 last year, and this year may even be better if it keeps going like it is.
I owe this site for my new level of prosperity. Seeing what others were doing, and learning what I was worth and how to market my self were game changers for me. Only other climbers I knew didn't speak english to well. This site opened up a whole world to me and showed me I wasn't alone in my desire to be a professional.
Don't get stuck in a rut, keep learning new Technics, study and understand trees, be honest and reliable, and you'll move up to a higher level, and be paid for it. Seek out the best tree company's you can to work for. It won't be over night, but you'll reap the benefits.
If I only knew all this 20 years ago how my life would of been different.

I don't know how to quote part of a post,
"The angle and length of the stubs are for strength", that is 45 year old mis conception, proven wrong by The Late Dr Alex Shigo.
In reallity the stubs invite core rot because the differential tissue of the branch collar will not be able to grow callas tissue over the branch coller ,which if properly pruned would eventually seal the wound. The forth and final wall of codit. The stub will not allow this and the decay will go to the core of the branch union, eventually causing a hollow, and an extreemly weaked section of a now non tapering stem.
At Aspen Tree PPE is required when you get out of the truck, 3 chances: 1st verbal, 2nd written, and 3rd grounds for termination, but I can almost garrentee you if OSHA fined them for you not wearing it, it would be 123, all at once. Climbing is great but knowing what, how, and why, to cut is as important. a good climber is worth what they safely produce, with out damage to the tree,property, team, or equipment. If they get up there and cause 30 years future damage then what are they worth, every cut (wound) matters. and safety matters most, you have to do it with the team tommorow again. like Beastmaster said strive to learn and better yourself and you will do well. but it does kind of suck if we were journyman line splicers, or xray welders, or plumbers we would be making 30-40 per hour, I will bump up to 20 at Aspen if I get my cdl, work for myself in the winter and early spring though.
Paul
Yup wages are why I can't work for a decent company unless its part time winter or contractual. 20 bucks per hour won't pay my bills let alone prosper.

YEP , wages for us climbers are all over the place. Cost of living in a certain areas (Hawaii) is high and I now believe that could be a contributing factor towards higher paid climbers , I don't know , just saying. I know there are plenty SKILLED and knowledgeable climbers here and I just wish you all (us all) would be recognized as such and compensated accordingly. You guys rock!

My first climbing job paid me $23/hr starting wage before they even knew a thing about me. They just took my word for it. Now, if I contract, I charge $120hr in the tree, $60 on the ground. I cut, and walk away. The guys I work for get a pretty good deal out of it as I'm able to get a lot done in 2-4 hours of climbing, and I'm home for lunch with $300-$500 in my pocket for the day. Granted though, that I don't get to do that every day. Maybe once a week. It's a part time deal for me.

I think if I was ever to work for anyone it would be in a higher capacity than climber. Maybe sales or management, no matter what, I would want percentage climbers here are too cheap. I can get a good one for 250.00 per day but I have never let anyone climb for me yet. I only have one reputation and I won't let a mistake from someone else cause my insurance to soar!

Australia

First job in the industry 4 years ago was on $18 (casual), 2 years later, $26 (fulltime perm), 1 year later $24 (casual, 50hrs a week + overtime on weekends and double time Sunday and nights), now $27 casual (40hrs a week). Standard rate for all day good climber is about $28-32 (full time perm), more if casual, if sub contractor i have seen some get up to $500 day rate with supply of there own gear.

Problem is no real award for this industry where i am from, no unions and no real governing body to regulate the industry, rather a wild west industry per say.... If it was regulated more i would assume prices would go up for danger pay and such would be calculated into the "award", but over here we fall under the cabinet makers and wood workers award and that's $17 a hour... i know very very very strange... you would think landscapers award...

This is in Australia, and please don't migrate here we are happy.

First job in the industry 4 years ago was on $18 (casual), 2 years later, $26 (fulltime perm), 1 year later $24 (casual, 50hrs a week + overtime on weekends and double time Sunday and nights), now $27 casual (40hrs a week). Standard rate for all day good climber is about $28-32 (full time perm), more if casual, if sub contractor i have seen some get up to $500 day rate with supply of there own gear.

Problem is no real award for this industry where i am from, no unions and no real governing body to regulate the industry, rather a wild west industry per say.... If it was regulated more i would assume prices would go up for danger pay and such would be calculated into the "award", but over here we fall under the cabinet makers and wood workers award and that's $17 a hour... i know very very very strange... you would think landscapers award...

This is in Australia, and please don't migrate here we are happy.

Hectic mate :) I'm on the way see ya soon :monkey:

Latest posts

Back