Tree falls on bystander

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crews at the scene estimated the three may have weighed as much as 1000 pounds.

???? That tree in the picture is a wee bit more than that!

Keep your kill zones clear - all the way around!

appalachianarbo said:
???? That tree in the picture is a wee bit more than that!

Keep your kill zones clear - all the way around!
Lets not rush to judgement and start blaming the tree guys, this victim was talking as they took him away, good. Many people are full on retarded when it comes to treework, it seems that you need a few security guards around to club them. Tree huggers often run right up under trees being cut, while the groundman is busy chipping brush. Hey, a screaming chainsaw, chunks of wood hitting the ground, guys with hardhats, is that enough of a clue to bystanders that they should be carefull?

I have had people get downright miserable when I asked them politely to move away from a job site. The second time not so polite, and the third time, well you get the picture. My boss uses the same technique. Some people just figure it is their God given right to be there, and won't listen to reason, let alone figure out that the situation is hazardous on their own.

Clearance, who else would you hold resposible for safe and successful completion of the job? The mailman? Regardless of the situation if anyone gets hurt on the jobsite, the contractor has a role in it. Keeping the worksite clear for each evolution is the sole responsibilty of those who are performing the work. If the job must be halted until clear so be it. This whole idea of blaming people that display idiot behaivior is itself a bigger problem.:chainsaw:

P_woozel said:
This whole idea of blaming people that display idiot behaivior is itself a bigger problem.:chainsaw:
And that statement, Mr. Woozel, illustrates reasoning that continues the ongoing slide of western civilization.

I don't know about y'all, but I am going to learn from this and protect my work area, drop zone, and kill zone better. I have heard of too much of this crap lately. I don't want to hurt anyone.

LightningLoader said:
Whatever happened to people being responsible for themselves???

Lawyers.

But on the other hand, was the drop zone properly protected here? Doesn't sound like it. It's not reasonable to expect your average Joe (or Jane) to be able to estimate where a tree might fall if it goes the wrong way. That's YOUR responsibility - you are the pro.

I'm not a pro, so I might wind up on a jury which will decide if you pay out the wazoo or not. Here's how I look at it:

If Joe Dead Bozo walked past a plain marker to get to where he got his head bashed in with your tree, he's at fault. The more clear the marker, the more it's his fault. He went past a row of cones, better yet a tape barrier? It's on him. You'll pay nothing if I have my way.

What? Your "sign" was a hand scribbled note on a piece of paper? Or your groundman was supposed to stop anybody who got too close, but he was busy handling brush? I'll hang you.

Signs & cones cost good money, I know. But marking tape is dirt cheap, gentlemen. There's no excuse for not using it to cordon off ALL of the potential drop zone.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Lawyers.

But on the other hand, was the drop zone properly protected here? Doesn't sound like it. It's not reasonable to expect your average Joe (or Jane) to be able to estimate where a tree might fall if it goes the wrong way. That's YOUR responsibility - you are the pro.

I'm not a pro, so I might wind up on a jury which will decide if you pay out the wazoo or not. Here's how I look at it:

If Joe Dead Bozo walked past a plain marker to get to where he got his head bashed in with your tree, he's at fault. The more clear the marker, the more it's his fault. He went past a row of cones, better yet a tape barrier? It's on him. You'll pay nothing if I have my way.

What? Your "sign" was a hand scribbled note on a piece of paper? Or your groundman was supposed to stop anybody who got too close, but he was busy handling brush? I'll hang you.

Signs & cones cost good money, I know. But marking tape is dirt cheap, gentlemen. There's no excuse for not using it to cordon off ALL of the potential drop zone.
Mark, have you been doing utility work cutting down trees beside the road and the sidewalk is your only available drop zone? How about this, many signs (proper road signs in stands) crew& equip, treework ahead, sidewalk closed, area closed tree falling, etc.,qualified flag girls for traffic control, a dozen cones at least, Sidewalk coned off with extra signs, flag girls aware the sidewalk is closed and stopping traffic to let people use the sidewalk on the other side of the street. And you still have morons who try and walk right into the drop zone, and get ignorant with you, cause "I pay taxes, I can walk anywhere I want, you can't tell me....I,I,I," Some people are just asking for a big block in the head, they step over cones, past signs, tape will not stop these idiots.

appalachianarbo said:
You mean flag people? I know some awesome female climbers.
OK, you pc freak, slap me, there used to be "lineman" here in BC, pc turned the same guys into "powerline technicians". Flag girls are now known as "traffic control persons", sue me, take me to the human rights commision, the labour board, call the newspapers, bfd.

clearance said:
Mark, have you been doing utility work cutting down trees beside the road and the sidewalk is your only available drop zone? How about this, many signs (proper road signs in stands) crew& equip, treework ahead, sidewalk closed, area closed tree falling, etc.,qualified flag girls for traffic control, a dozen cones at least, Sidewalk coned off with extra signs, flag girls aware the sidewalk is closed and stopping traffic to let people use the sidewalk on the other side of the street. And you still have morons who try and walk right into the drop zone, and get ignorant with you, cause "I pay taxes, I can walk anywhere I want, you can't tell me....I,I,I," Some people are just asking for a big block in the head, they step over cones, past signs, tape will not stop these idiots.

No sir, tape won't stop these idiots. I know that. You don't have to convince me. You don't even have to TELL me!

Tape WILL stop me (if I'm on your jury) from finding you at fault. If it has the same effect on a simple majority of your jury, I'd say it has paid for itself, wouldn't you?

Sometimes there's just not enough that any human can do to keep stupid people from getting themselves hurt.

So you do your best, and CYA. :cheers:

Our insurance policy states that we must tape off the work zone.

If not.... they won't pay on an accident.

OK, you pc freak, slap me, there used to be "lineman" here in BC, pc turned the same guys into "powerline technicians". Flag girls are now known as "traffic control persons", sue me, take me to the human rights commision, the labour board, call the newspapers, bfd.

HAHAHA...Ignorance makes me laugh...HAHAHA

residential work

Working with people is at times nuts. Even with the police there to direct traffic I had a lady pull up (on the sidewalk)and stop (park her car) next to a tree that was already cut (notched) on one side to fall. Only to ask, "Why are you cutting down that beautifull tree?" All stop while the policeman spent the next 5 miniutes talking her into moving her car. The tree had dropped a limb through a cars windshield (owner worked for the Magistrate) the night before. Then the neighbors son on another job (9 yr old mind) wrapped in a 17 yr old body (mentally challenged) heard the saws and came to have a look see. Walked under the tree. Alert homeowner grabbed him and walked him a safe distance away. Grounman was ineffective. Homeowner knew the kid.
Tape/cones and traffic control may help and then there are times when it doesn't. Staying alert to what's happening around you without being distracted is a very tough job part of the job. The longer you're at this the more crazies you're likely going to see. Not everyone uses common sense. Like the guy in the Humvee last week drives through the limbs, on the street, while the crew is cutting them up. Wind had blown a tree over the phone lines, man in the boom facing away from the Humvee cutting limbs loose. Ground crew dashes to get out of the way of the oncoming Humvee.
Try as you may you're not going to get cooperation from everyone. I don't do utility work but I've seen my share of crazies out there.

I guess you don't understand it, geofore. If he's got a Humvee, he's INVINCIBLE!

He doesn't have to stop for branches. He doesn't have to stop for flags. He doesn't have to stop for....

OUCH!

Well, I guess he DOES have to stop for 10,000 lbs of oak tree dropping on his head! :D

Hello from the UK.

I have to agree there are some people who "simply will not be inconvenienced or delayed" by your operation and will do anything to get where they want to go. I've had people duck under said tape when we've used it, dodged past us when we have tried to physically bar their way (can't touch 'em though, that's assault), been completely oblivious to the noise, signs, cones and blokes in fancy dress outfits, then verbally abused us when they have been showered with debris. The number of visually and audibly "challenged" people is growing. Must be summat in the water.

:givebeer:

TJ

johnstr1 said:
Hello from the UK.

I have to agree there are some people who "simply will not be inconvenienced or delayed" by your operation and will do anything to get where they want to go. I've had people duck under said tape when we've used it, dodged past us when we have tried to physically bar their way (can't touch 'em though, that's assault), been completely oblivious to the noise, signs, cones and blokes in fancy dress outfits, then verbally abused us when they have been showered with debris. The number of visually and audibly "challenged" people is growing. Must be summat in the water.

:givebeer:

TJ
Hi, welcome, glad the tards just aren't here.

Latest posts

Back