Tree Felling Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a link to a publication put out by WorkSafe BC on timber falling. Although it is designed for professional fallers working primarily in coniferous stands in a logging setting, the principles are very useful for newbies.

In BC, all professionals falling trees greater than 8" in diameter (including arborists) must be tested and certified. This is the manual that the certification is based on. If a tree has a line in it, then the cutter doesn't have to be certified. There is a bit of a jurisdictional battle between logger/fallers and arborists.

http://www.worksafebc.com/publicati.../assets/pdf/bc_faller_training_standard_1.pdf
http://www.worksafebc.com/publicati.../assets/pdf/bc_faller_training_standard_2.pdf

Nope, you just pick up the nearest crush proof stick the precise size needed

We're still waiting for SherrillTree to start selling "Tree Felling Sticks":laugh:.
and poke it in the exact spot needed to keep from exerting to much pressure on a trunk that just hit the ground. I suggest sticking a slide rule and micrometer in your hip pocket instead of a wedge.

Higher is better, if the tie in point is strong enough to hold the weight of the tree. Communication with puller is also necessary, I like hands free two way ear muff type radios. Some times puller is out of sight of cutter.

Not in my case, 20 to 25 feet is optimal for my 20 ton pto bucket winch, the lower attachment makes taking up slack a breeze. However if pulling by hand or with a pickup etc. your correct. No one size fits all though, when it comes to dangerous felling "I dig my winch"!

Last edited:
Winch is great sometimes, but

they are often to slow to keep a tree from going sideways when pulling a tree opposite the lean.

Falling leaners be they back, side, or head ya really can't learn by reading. You can get the techniques explained but that way diff from actually putting them into practice. That comes from experience and facing the situations.

Doing a chainsaw course is well advised but it only a start and not a ticket to go an take on difficult sticks.

Rigging and pulling trees there a wee bit more to it than just rope em up and pull. Other things gotta be taken into account......like face.....hinge......how it rigged etc etc etc.

Wrecking a stick down is an option certainly ......however doing so kinda requires ya to be able to climb and handle a saw whilst up there .......ya screw up at height then ya in trouble.

I ain't being rude or negative at all to anyone esp the OP but learn to use a saw and if ya can find a course and someone that can teach ya in person ......be patient tackle things that are not gonna cause ya grief at first. Crawl before ya walk and walk before ya run lol

carry at least 3 weges as a minamal plastic not metal but the plastic with the aluminum but are nice if you do a lot of wedging for me size of wedge depends on tree di.

Just a little surprised by all the photos posted on AS of guys not wearing PPE...no chaps, no lid, no nothin!

Oh and once the tree hits the ground the first thing WE do is get the ropes out of the way!?!

:msp_mellow:

But, to each their own...

Just a little surprised by all the photos posted on AS of guys not wearing PPE...no chaps, no lid, no nothin!

Oh and once the tree hits the ground the first thing we do is get the ropes out of the way!?!

that cause folks don't think saws etc are dangerous lol......and looking cool seems to be more important too lol

I think I look cooler than#+%£¥ in my climbing lid, muffs, and chaps!... I look like a pro, not some weekend warrior, runnin a saw for the first time!

My best friends dad in fifth grade(many years ago) had a scar that ran from the top of his forehead down to the bottom of his neck. Saws will eff you up. In 9th grade a classmates dad died bucking logs on a wood pile, his partner went to the store to get lunch, was only gone fifteen minutes, when he got back, homie had already bled out! Lets have a little respect for these tools, shall we!?!?

Often cutting has to come before rope can be pulled out

Oh and once the tree hits the ground the first thing WE do is get the ropes out of the way!?!

Injuries I have witnessed were all caused by stupidity and the PPE didn't help a bit! I don't wear any thing in a tree but ear plugs and eye protection. On the ground chaps and a lid, but the best protection you can have is between your ears.

Injuries I have witnessed were all caused by stupidity and the PPE didn't help a bit! I don't wear any thing in a tree but ear plugs and eye protection. On the ground chaps and a lid, but the best protection you can have is between your ears.

I don't exactly follow your logic... So no eye or ear pro while on the ground? And only eye and ear in the tree...

Maybe I misunderstood but, hey, at least your wearing chaps, which is more than I can say for a lot of posters here, props!

Not really tryin to be the safety police, but.....

I learned recently that 30 people a year get chipped and its not the newbies... The age group most likely to be chipped is 40-55... Owners and veterans getting complacent! Keep your eyes open folks!

Yeah, I wear ear plugs and eye protection on the ground also. Socks, boots, shirt,

pants, and I sometimes have a handkerchief in my hip pocket. Oh, black briefs!

I don't exactly follow your logic... So no eye or ear pro while on the ground? And only eye and ear in the tree...

Maybe I misunderstood but, hey, at least your wearing chaps, which is more than I can say for a lot of posters here, props!

Not really tryin to be the safety police, but.....

I learned recently that 30 people a year get chipped and its not the newbies... The age group most likely to be chipped is 40-55... Owners and veterans getting complacent! Keep your eyes open folks!

I forgot some folks have to have stuff spelled out.

Ahhh me thinks you might be thinking that hat on me head was a cowboy hat, lol it was I assure you anzi issue :monkey: However chaps yep not wearing them and the rope was pinned to the ground and out of my way as well as the cable that actually pulled the tree over.

Last edited:
I think I look cooler than#+%£¥ in my climbing lid, muffs, and chaps!... I look like a pro, not some weekend warrior, runnin a saw for the first time!

My best friends dad in fifth grade(many years ago) had a scar that ran from the top of his forehead down to the bottom of his neck. Saws will eff you up. In 9th grade a classmates dad died bucking logs on a wood pile, his partner went to the store to get lunch, was only gone fifteen minutes, when he got back, homie had already bled out! Lets have a little respect for these tools, shall we!?!?

No amount of ppe can fix stupid. I started this business before chaps so training covered proper handling of a chainsaw and kickback prevention. I have a pair and if its cool out I usually wear them but if it's hot I don't. I however have witnessed many ppe preaching dip ####s over the years that would need chaps if they used a dull pocket knife cleaning their finger nails.

Last edited:
Back