Tree growth question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkirt1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering... does a particular point on a tree grow taller? For example, does the crotch of a young tree grow taller as the tree grows taller? If so, is it proportionate to the growth of the entire tree?

Thanks if advance for the info.

Think of this...a farmer nails a fence to a tree to keep the cows in. Does the fence move up?

When trees grow they add volume out, perpendicular to the pith. They also grow out radially from the buds.

Tom

Reminds me of an Encylopedia Brown episode.... That was the fateful day I learned that trees don't grow out of the ground but rather from their buds. Unlike grasses which grow from protected meristematic zones...

I knew Nick was a dork! I speak from personal experience as I read Encyclopedia Brown when I was a dork. Boy it'd hard to type when yur hammered.:D

Originally posted by Newfie
I knew Nick was a dork! I speak from personal experience as I read Encyclopedia Brown when I was a dork. Boy it'd hard to type when yur hammered.:D
Come on! I gave away hints about my true past before!

You aren't within 10 feet of Erik, are you?

The answer is no.

Maybe ever so slightly, but no.

Most cell division and cell elongation which increases height and canopy expansion is at the tips of trunks and branches.

OK, then how do all those old bicycles get up in the trees?

Care to elaborate, Mike? I'm unfamiliar with that phenomenon.

OK, then how do all those old bicycles get up in the trees?

Same way the rocks do. Put them in a low crotch and then wait a few years....soon they'll be over your head.*

Tom, please tell those farmers to QUIT nailing fences to trees!! I'm dealing with the results decades later....a royal PITA.

*(kkirt1...just kidding)

Maybe you know she's talking about firewooding old "hedge" trees and are just being funny?

Glen

I don't think it's funny at all, Glen. As I've mentioned before....I'm somewhat 'vertically challenged'....do you know how hard it is for a short runt to fix that 27th strand of barbed wire on a locust once it's been growing for almost thirty years?? I have to hire a 4wheel drive cherrypicker to help out.

The hedge is too nasty to carry it along.....so it engulfs any wire and just sits there waiting for a fresh chain to come along.

;)

Originally posted by glens
Maybe you know she's talking about firewooding old "hedge" trees and are just being funny?

Glen

I'm sure she's being funny cuz obviosly the wire will stay at the exact height that it was nailed to. :angel:

For me though, I get a lot of trees that I can have for free or I charge them a for a small price for the removal. It's a decent way to get firewood some times and you'll be surprised how many "friends" you have that want a favor and want you to remove trees for free or cheap. Some of these trees have nails in them.

So I ruin chains all the time. If it wasn't for the pro sharpening place that puts chains to the grinder for $4 then I wouldn't even touch those trees. Usually I fall them at 5 feet or where ever I can see the wire wont be, then either leave a big stump (if the owner doesn't mind) or straight cut the stump as close as i can to the ground without a notch so i can get under the wire (only the stump of coarse, not the whole tree).

I got nails that were made in a blcksmith last month. About a 24" hard maple and the nails were in the center so it was done by some dood that is long since dead no doubt. I had to fall the whole ????ed fence row. Like 20 big trees. Made the woner feel guilty until he gave me an additional $40 for ruined chains. :D

????, I just noticed that this ????ing forum censors out swear word and ???? like that and replaces them with question marks. :angry:

And I know. I gotta get a grinder of my own some day so I don't have to bring the chains in for grinding if i hit a rock/wire/nail.

Not only curse words, Darin can put any word in the edit formula.

If you ever type Treebuss with z's instead of s's it comes back as a string of ???.

this leads to creative AS-spelling of many words. Try using phonetics.

Tom

Latest posts

Back