Tree Hugger Trying to Shut Me Down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i hear that!

every time i hear about someone wanting to go into politics i have a chill run up my spine and I feel like grabbing them by the scuff of their A** and throwing them off a cliff. lol Our forefathers must be looking down at us from where ever and thinking... "you bunch of numbskulls, you let the country get away from you!" Maybe we should just start paying taxes back to england and get back under their rule...

maybe what we need is some level headed people get into politics and get the idiots out

yeah, maybe this thread is taking a turn down a long, slippery path...lol Anyway, back to the OP.

Have you tried killing this guy with kindness? or have your wife get on his wifes good side? You'd be surprised at just how babyish people can be. Say, he feels slighted by you for some reason, you didnt invite him over for dinner but you invited someone else over, or maybe you dont say hello and BS with him enough.. or maybe he just wants to or wanted to hang out, shoot the breeze and have a beer or two with you and thinks you dont invite him to because you dont like him? maybe invite him over for a beer this summer and see if he is cool or not? try to find out whats up his keester.. theres gotta be some underlying problem.

So I live next to this real tree hugging whiner who has for whatever reason made it his main goal in life to shut my wood burning down. I'm in a suburban environment, but there are other wood burners near us, all within a 100 foot area of each other. It's New England, Near Boston, right on the ocean. It gets very cold and wood burning here is an American tradition going back hundreds of years to the founding of our nation. This guy claims that, even though there is another wood burner the same exact distance from his home, only my stove affects him. He also just so happens to not like my father and is friends with the closest other wood burner, who he's never complained about. Go figure. I always burn clean dry wood, and there's never an unusual amount of excess smoke. This guy is so hellbent on shutting me down, here's a list of things he's done thus far:

-Visited the town building department numerous(10+) times, forcing them to visit our home and make sure the install is to code and inspected. It of course was, and they've now labeled him a nutcase.

-Visited the fire department, prompting the fire marshal to visit. The marshal said this nut actually took a picture of my stack one day when it was a "smokey" fire, which probably stopped smoking seconds after he took the pic. The fire marshal turned out to be a good guy who said he had driven by the house several other times and couldn't even see any smoke. He also said that he even allowed outdoor fire pits, and had no problem with burning clean wood(showed him my clean wood pile). Now we have another town official labeling him a nut.

-Contacted board of health. I got a letter from the board of health(ridiculous, I know). The nut must have portrayed me as someone who burned trash in my stove, as I'm sure he did with the other two officials, because the clown at the board of health included what looks like a google copy and paste of 'tips for clean burning', which I've been fully aware of and followed since I was a kid. "Only burn clean dry wood, if your insert is old replace it(it's not, it's new), etc.

The last sentence of the letter from the director of public health reads "...I request that the wood burning unit not be used when the wind is coming from North Westernly direction toward the property..."

When it's coming from that direction? Are you kidding? Yeah sure, I'll just monitor the wind direction constantly and when it shifts, pour a bucket of water on it. How can such a thing even be enforced? This is a legal install with other wood burners in the immediate area, and they want to impose such a restriction on me? My guess is they'd open up a bag of worms if they tried to enforce it, and I don't plan to stop burning, ever.

Anyway, bounce your ideas back, let me know if anyone's experienced similar situation.
So I live next to this real tree hugging whiner who has for whatever reason made it his main goal in life to shut my wood burning down. I'm in a suburban environment, but there are other wood burners near us, all within a 100 foot area of each other. It's New England, Near Boston, right on the ocean. It gets very cold and wood burning here is an American tradition going back hundreds of years to the founding of our nation. This guy claims that, even though there is another wood burner the same exact distance from his home, only my stove affects him. He also just so happens to not like my father and is friends with the closest other wood burner, who he's never complained about. Go figure. I always burn clean dry wood, and there's never an unusual amount of excess smoke. This guy is so hellbent on shutting me down, here's a list of things he's done thus far:

-Visited the town building department numerous(10+) times, forcing them to visit our home and make sure the install is to code and inspected. It of course was, and they've now labeled him a nutcase.

-Visited the fire department, prompting the fire marshal to visit. The marshal said this nut actually took a picture of my stack one day when it was a "smokey" fire, which probably stopped smoking seconds after he took the pic. The fire marshal turned out to be a good guy who said he had driven by the house several other times and couldn't even see any smoke. He also said that he even allowed outdoor fire pits, and had no problem with burning clean wood(showed him my clean wood pile). Now we have another town official labeling him a nut.

-Contacted board of health. I got a letter from the board of health(ridiculous, I know). The nut must have portrayed me as someone who burned trash in my stove, as I'm sure he did with the other two officials, because the clown at the board of health included what looks like a google copy and paste of 'tips for clean burning', which I've been fully aware of and followed since I was a kid. "Only burn clean dry wood, if your insert is old replace it(it's not, it's new), etc.

The last sentence of the letter from the director of public health reads "...I request that the wood burning unit not be used when the wind is coming from North Westernly direction toward the property..."

When it's coming from that direction? Are you kidding? Yeah sure, I'll just monitor the wind direction constantly and when it shifts, pour a bucket of water on it. How can such a thing even be enforced? This is a legal install with other wood burners in the immediate area, and they want to impose such a restriction on me? My guess is they'd open up a bag of worms if they tried to enforce it, and I don't plan to stop burning, ever.

Anyway, bounce your ideas back, let me know if anyone's experienced similar situation.

Dude that's great I can barely type I'm laughing so much just picturing that
Not the answer but for entertainment value. Make some wood shreds by rip cutting some firewood then have it utilized as cat litter then SORT of dry it and use it a little at a time for kindling or firestarter (only when the wind is from the NW) be cautious not to alienate other neighbor/friends Maybe then your neighbor will appreciate good ole pure wood smoke... A wet work boot is not a pleasant smell for the record. You mite try documenting your firewood as "ORGANIC" for the health nuts.

this neighbor is not a tree hugger he is a smoke protester/arsehoe

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if you said what kind of wood stove or furnace you are burning? I know you said you only burn seasoned wood which is good. As we all know a freshly lit fire will emit smoke untill the stove and chimney warm up. I'd lay a fire in a cold stove and chimney and go to neighbors house and stand in yard and see if you can smell smoke and for how long, if its a constant smell I would check into a more efficient stove that may help a lot. Have you ever talked to the man face to face? The only time smoke ever
bothers me is during the summer if a neighbor to the west is burning trash or a bonfire. I can smell it though my open bedroom window late at night. But I don't complain cause I burn my indoor wood furnace all winter long. A constant fire smokes way less IMO. In the winter all my windows are shut and I smell nothing from any neighbors.

Here's the solution to this TMI thread: right on, smother the fools with extreme kindness.
So, bite the bullet (butt), swallow your pride ( :crazy: ) and choose which of the offending parties will have
intimate sex with you. :crazy2: No more complaints. Very friendly neighbor. End of story.:happy:

Thought I already replied to this thread with the ending to the story but I guess not. The guy ended up trying to win via court but the judge dismissed the case and the guy tucked tail and ran(put his house on the market and bought a new one a few towns over). He lives at this new location now and hardly ever comes back to his property, which is still on the market. The house is vacant now and it's been peaceful ever since. You could say we smoked him out. In addition to this, another neighbor on the other side of us just installed their own wood burning stove. Now 4/5 people in our area burn, so things have turned around completely. It's a good lesson. You have to fight for your rights or you'll lose them.

Thought I already replied to this thread with the ending to the story but I guess not. The guy ended up trying to win via court but the judge dismissed the case and the guy tucked tail and ran(put his house on the market and bought a new one a few towns over). He lives at this new location now and hardly ever comes back to his property, which is still on the market. The house is vacant now and it's been peaceful ever since. You could say we smoked him out. In addition to this, another neighbor on the other side of us just installed their own wood burning stove. Now 4/5 people in our area burn, so things have turned around completely. It's a good lesson. You have to fight for your rights or you'll lose them.

Awesome!

Good work.

Glad it worked out. What a goofball I would have done what was suggested earlier and just put up an Obama Biden sign in the front yard . Once he saw that he would likely get a strange tingle down his leg and consider you a fellow comrade

I heard that coal burns nice and clean, figure out a way to burn that.

Good to hear the conclusion of the case.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back