Tree Huggers Part 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glen,
As you and most here know, I work at being as tolerant as possible within our little on line arbo community.... I pretty much accept people as they are (other than MB's tautline)....
I've read all the posts of yours about nettiquette that I care to...
How polite is it to make all of the rest of us read your nit picky posts? I just read one where you asked the sender to post the time zone... Do I need to hear that from you? Do the rest of us?... couldn't you just PM the sender and leave the rest of us out...

We all don't need to hear your repeated requests and instructions for sizing pics... How much feedback do you need?

Right now I think I'll try something new... that ignore function rocky mentioned... be a shame though to miss something valuable... if you ever did get around to sharing something valuable

I'm torn.  Do I say "fine" and move along, or do I address the things you've said?  Oh, what the heck...
Originally posted by murphy4trees
Glen,
As you and most here know, I work at being as tolerant as possible within our little on line arbo community....
I was unaware of that, thanks for telling me.
I pretty much accept people as they are (other than MB's tautline)....
I've read all the posts of yours about nettiquette that I care to...
Perhaps you're mistaking common-sense use of a computer for netiquette?  Computers are vastly easier to use properly than are chainsaws.  Most everyone here would claim proficiency with a chainsaw but there seems to be a fair number who don't quite "get" some of the finer basic points of the computer, which is the ultimate common element we all share here.
How polite is it to make all of the rest of us read your nit picky posts?
Maybe I do pick a nit once in a while.  Most times I just try to do my best to do things right.  If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing right.  From the other direction, if it's not worth doing right, it's not worth doing.  I like to try to help others do things right, and I guess that's really what you find offensive.  Sorry about that.

I wonder if you ever attempt to blow the dust off something; maybe even polish it when it has a dull surface?  Is that picking nits or trying to help make the thing be better than it was and where you are a better place?

At any rate, you may find me annoying, but you'll note I don't pique your interest about something which I've attached, and then make it difficult for you to fetch and see it.  Would that be "better" than "nit picking"?  Wouldn't it actually be rather more than a nit if I did that?  Quite more; and addressing it would not be nit picking.
I just read one where you asked the sender to post the time zone... Do I need to hear that from you? Do the rest of us?... couldn't you just PM the sender and leave the rest of us out...
I guess I could, except that's not what I did.&nbsp; I made no requests of Jim.&nbsp; I <i>did</i> flesh out what he'd said a little, for posterity.
We all don't need to hear your repeated requests and instructions for sizing pics... How much feedback do you need?
How much clue do <i>you</i> need?&nbsp; Being irresponsible with your (the "you" in that is plural) attachments places extra expense on Darin for both storage and bandwidth and places hardship on those who cannot have broadband connections yet would like to view them.&nbsp; Being irresponsible entails both grotesquely large (either way) images and/or duplicating them in other threads/posts instead of linking to the first instance.&nbsp; That's not netiquette, it's consideration of others.&nbsp; And I must repeat the requests/instructions <i>because</i> I'm polite and wish to be helpful to the entire community.
Right now I think I'll try something new... that ignore function rocky mentioned... be a shame though to miss something valuable... if you ever did get around to sharing something valuable
That would ultimately depend on what you might classify as valuable.&nbsp; I guess this brings me now to the "fine by me".&nbsp; Maybe you'll see this some time in the future, or sooner if someone you're not ignoring quotes it.&nbsp; I don't expect you to discuss it further; that's not your style.

Glen

offtopic.gif

So where are ya'lls tree hugging pics???:blob2:

Glens really take your computer garble over to another forum where they care about this crap. If you don't remember we're in a tree care forum, not computer science. You know i can't even remember the last time you actually posted anything remotely related to tree care.

I once upon a time had dial up as well and i quickly accepted the fact it wasn't worth my time to try to load pics. So when will you please come to this conclusion. If 50% are supposedly on dial up still, well the numbers surely don't show it here. You are the only one who ever complains. PLEASE SHUT UP! No One CARES!:angry:

It may be that the representation on this site does not reflect the rest of the country, then again it may not.&nbsp; I'm close to the only one who ever says anything; that doesn't mean I'm the only one who wants you guys to play nice.&nbsp; Most all the other people who've posted unnecessarily large images have taken care to make them fully accessible.&nbsp; You are just about the only one who has not.

Loading images is painless.&nbsp; Downloading them from this site isn't always so, but it's getting a lot closer to becoming easy and friendly.&nbsp; If the last few hold-outs would just come around...

Sorry again, Butch.&nbsp; I guess your admonition went unheeded too.

Glen

I saw that already, Brian.&nbsp; They're off-site images, so there is a fair chance they'll be nothing but broken-image-icons some time in the future.&nbsp; While dimensionally pleasant, they're remarkably easy on the bandwidth at what looks like about 60 KB per image.&nbsp; What makes it more acceptable is that the server sending them allows my web-cache to keep copies, unlike every stinking image at Sherrills', which must be fetched anew at each visit, even when they haven't changed in many months.

Thanks for thinking of me...

Glen

This one's a little bigger, 384 KB, full-page. I normally crunch images down a bit more, but I like this shot. Had to work for it.

Naw, thats two fellows trying out a little bar oil in a squirrel hole.

See Vern there cheering him on. There is a look of discovery there.

Just funnin Mr. Lovell,

Just excited about getting back to Florida. On the bird in the morning.

Yeah, that's just like you, John. If what we are seeing in this picture is the ???? of the tree, are doing your usual browneye fandango? Maples are gay.

C'mon guys! It's a horizontal hug!
If Erik posts the pics of the rest of the mess we are in the process of cleaning up... He didn't get a chance to pose for a vertical hug. This massive Red Oak uprooted and landed on the back 2 rooms of a Vetrans Home one street over from us. The tree had grown over several large rocks, there was an ancient brush pile next to it that trapped the moisture in an already very damp area and allowed ALL kindsa fungi to flourish. The root ball stayed in the ground and everything snapped at ground level. The only thing that stopped this monster was a cluster of good sized (but smaller) trees in it's path that slowed it down. The building would have been cut in half otherwise. As it was the roof is going to have to be completely redone because there area about 20 punctures in it. Two branches went right into the building itself. One wedged between the wall and the water pipes for the sprinkler system and one went through the ceiling and into the wall about a foot above some guy's bed. Fortunately he'd moved to another room about 2 hours before the tree came knocking!

Thanks Rocky! Glad to be here. SO proud of myself for my first post and actually sounding like I know what I'm talking about...

Latest posts

Back