Tree I.D. help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Can anyone I.D. this weed of a tree for me?
It has been in the back corner of my property for probably 25+ years.

Thanks.

weedtree1_zpsxbtcmupb.jpg

weedtree2_zpsbsi0qd8o.jpg

weedtree3_zpszljyak84.jpg

Thank you gentlemen for the quick and accurate information.
From what I have just been able to "google" it is an American Chestnut.
Apparently quite rare in these parts, northwest Ohio.
Apparently some fungus wiped them all out in the early 1900's.

Thanks again.

I was thinking American Chestnut, as it was almost a shrub, not a tree. Keeps getting hit with the fungus, but somehow survives. I've seen a couple of others in this area like that.

Roasting on an open fire.
Chinese Chestnut, have a couple I planted in my backyard.
Yours is a semi mature tree so you will get to collect chestnuts in Oct and roast em up whenever you please.
If you only have 1 tree the harvest will be small, they require a second to pollinate at a decent level.

While the nuts are delicious, the bloom stinks something terrible, at least I think so.

Some interesting trivia;

The American Chestnut Society has crossbred the American Chestnut with the Chinese Chestnut to make them blight resistant. They are breeding them back to 15/16th of American Chestnut so that they have it's attributes. When they get back to 15/16th pure, some remain blight resistant, others do not. They then intercross breed the blight resistant ones to create a line of blight resistant American Chestnuts. Inbreeding is an issue when doing this, go figure. Their goal is to be able to reintroduce the American Chestnut into it's native range and be blight resistant.

It has close resemblance to Sawtooth Oak and Ozark Chinkapin. I'll look in my seven tree ID books Wednesday to try to find more. The Ozark Chinkapins were badly affected by the Chestnut blight of 1927-1929 and recovery was difficult because the pathogen was continually passed down as the specie reproduced.

Back