Tree I.d. Help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spyder62

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Need help I’d ing this tree. I have several trees on my property I can’t identify. Most of them don’t have any branches on them till 60’ up. And my eyes aren’t what they used to be.Came home today and found a branch in the path. Three days ago there weren’t any leaves on the tree, today spring has sprung.

Attachments

• B83FD9DC-0397-41D9-B47A-CBB4620F3DAE.jpeg
    B83FD9DC-0397-41D9-B47A-CBB4620F3DAE.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 90
  • 35C5D245-B02F-40C6-A0C1-3907425E817F.jpeg
    35C5D245-B02F-40C6-A0C1-3907425E817F.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 88
  • 73641CD4-E2AD-4659-98DB-29FF4EE03216.jpeg
    73641CD4-E2AD-4659-98DB-29FF4EE03216.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 91
I have a couple of black walnuts. Almost positive this isn’t one. Tried looking online the closest I could find were hornbeam, elm,ash and hickory. Some stems have 3 leaflets and some have 5. There is a soft catipilar like swamp doodle hanging there also. Thought maybe that would be the indentifying factor

The man I bought the property from about 20 years ago told me there was hickory here I just can’t identify them. Most of the trees don’t have any branches till about 60’ up. Gonna post another I’m unsure of. Thinking it’s some kinda birch?

Attachments

• 91F2C47E-EBAD-4052-A301-E52C55E2D1C5.jpeg
    91F2C47E-EBAD-4052-A301-E52C55E2D1C5.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 44
The man I bought the property from about 20 years ago told me there was hickory here I just can’t identify them. Most of the trees don’t have any branches till about 60’ up. Gonna post another I’m unsure of. Thinking it’s some kinda birch?
Hickory on the first set of pictures, possibly Yellow Birch on this one.

This is definitely a Black Walnut tree.
The juvenile leaves are not yet fully grown into their Pinnate Compound of 14-23 leaflets, but you can see the male flower hanging and female flowers popping at the top.
Leaf shape is correct for it too.
One thing for sure, You'll know soon when the nuts start to develop.

Here's what Black Walnut looks like...

81158_cablacknut_md.gif

I have a couple of black walnuts. Almost positive this isn’t one. Tried looking online the closest I could find were hornbeam, elm,ash and hickory. Some stems have 3 leaflets and some have 5. There is a soft catipilar like swamp doodle hanging there also. Thought maybe that would be the indentifying factor
In your first set of fotos,the bark isn't right for hornbeam.Could be ash or elm.I don't know anything about hickery.

The compound leaves and bark say black walnut to me. It could be hickory I suppose, but it would have to be mockernut or pignut as it certainly isn't shagbark by the looks of the bark. I would have to say it is black walnut at this point, though.

This is definitely a Black Walnut tree.
The juvenile leaves are not yet fully grown into their Pinnate Compound of 14-23 leaflets, but you can see the male flower hanging and female flowers popping at the top.
Leaf shape is correct for it too.
One thing for sure, You'll know soon when the nuts start to develop.

Here's what Black Walnut looks like...

View attachment 649917
The one tree I was confident it was not, was black walnut. I have a 31” one in my back yard . It’s a yard tree though. It has a much different shape.The bark pattern on both trees are similar but the yard tree is more brown and the one in the woods is more grey. Not so sure now Maybe it is a walnut. The tree in question is 21” in diameter two feet off the ground , but I’ve never seen one nut on it. Whatever it is there looks to be a few more of them back there. And maybe a shagbark also. Thanks too all that replied

The compound leaves and bark say black walnut to me. It could be hickory I suppose, but it would have to be mockernut or pignut as it certainly isn't shagbark by the looks of the bark. I would have to say it is black walnut at this point, though.
FWIW hickory is in the Walnut family.

Looks like Pignut Hickory to me, have quite a few on my property, the bark and young leaves right now look just like that.
I’m leaning/ hoping hickory.there are other highly valuable black walnuts in my neighborhood ( I wish) and they are all brownish, where this is more grey. I’ve never seen one nut off this tree though. While the walnut gives me tons. Located maybe another 6-8 more of the same trees today on the other side of my property so I’m psyched

Back