tree ID (marginal firewood value)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was intrigued by this black locust with berries. When I stopped To think, I realized black locust don't have berries. Whatever it is I don't think it's native around me. Or at least it's not that common.

IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1902.JPG

IMG_1901.JPG

That was easy.

I haven't seen, or at least noticed others around me. Are they more of a decorative tree or do the get to any size in nature?

Used to have one in the yard as a kid. Every fall, the cedar waxwings would find it for a few days and eat all the berries. If it was late enough in the fall, they would get drunk on the fermented berries! Windstorm blew it over one summer, and a neighbor cut it up, so I have no idea how it is for firewood. They are an ornamental around here. I remember seeing them on the tram ride going up Mt. Washington, NH, which is more in their range.

I guess they are more related to roses and cherry trees than actual ash trees. Doesn't look like they get very big but the wood is supposed to be dense.

Back