Tree ID; red spots, and cottony scale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davey Boy

Reaction score
I have a tree that I'm not sure what it is. I think it's a willow, and it has red spots all over it. I also have 2 magnolia ferascota (?) trees that have something all over them. If I could get some advice on what to do to make both these trees more healthy, that would be great. Here is a link to pictures of the trees and the problems.

http://www.davidandliliana.com/magnolia/

Thanks,
David

Your trees have been hit with a good dose of sap suckers and scale. These can exude a sticky substance that powdery mildew (fungal spores) stick to. Ants will also join in on the act farming the sweet secretions.

The trees are small enough to spray, use something systemic like Confidor. Follow instructions.

White oil can also be sprayed but not in the heat, spray in the cool of night and hose off in the morning.

For an attack that intense it usually means that there's something else wrong with the trees health and vigor. I noticed no mulch and competing lawn around trees. Check soil PH (6.5 is best), light organic fertilize, mulch and water ... this will increase health and vigor.

Back