Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Here's an interesting tree I took down yesterday. Any clues? Very light wood. No smell that I noticed.

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 263645View attachment 263646

Nah, mulberry is a dark yellow when freshly cut, and very heavy. This stuff was almost white and very light. Bark looks like some kind of birch, but the wood is so light I'd lean toward balsa, but I don't know that it can even grow here.

Looks a bit like ailanthus- ghetto palm/tree of heaven. Did it have leaves kinda like sumac?

The last shot shows that it was growing extremely fast -- so I would vote for a Populus (poplar family -- willow, aspen, cottonwood). OTH, Catalpa, Ailanthus, and tulip poplar are possibilities. All of these trees grow very fast if they are sprouts from old root stocks (Stumps or large roots). Was this the case? There may be a tree near by that is the same species.

The specks on the barks are lenticels that are often seen on certain trees and can help to ID the tree. These function in gas exchange.

Give us more picks!

Buds?

Leaves?

Smell of the wood?

Heavy or light? Soft (can dent with a thumbnail) or relatively hard (can't)

You can always find some dried leaves nearby. There are keys to "Trees in Winter" that focus on the buds and twigs.

Here are three more pics of the same tree (I'm pretty sure). The young tree looks like the funny ones in my original posting, but I encountered another tree today with a young tree growing out of an older tree. Perhaps these are the same trees.

Ignore the leaves - that's a vine.

View attachment 271098View attachment 271099View attachment 271100

Looks like a momosa tree that I have in my front yard. But im not a tree expert.

Back