Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bower4311

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This isn't exactly for firewood. Kind of a different wood project I've had in mind for a while. I'll definitively post pictures once it's done but I would like to ID the tree I used before I finish it up. This was a very tall and skinny tree (4-5" DBH). The bark was actually pretty shaggy and almost like a mild shagbark hickory (no pictures of that). But I did take a picture of the leaves. These aren't 100% fresh but don't look too different. They actually seem a big rounder in hand than it looks.

I'm thinking pear. But it's just strange that it was so tall? Maybe... I don't think apple ever grows like that, but there is an apple tree right nearby. There is also pear trees scattered throughout the fence-row it came from so it's a possibility. The wood has a lot of marks once the bark was stripped (hint hint) under it, and it was light, then darkened up quickly, but is very light when sanded.

Pear tree for sure.
Btu same as hickory.
Pear has a wonderful smell when burning so great for cooking or in the woodstove.

Latest posts

Back