tree id

• Thread starter Deleted member 116684
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 116684

can't place it. seems really hard and a little stringy to split. smells kinda sweet to me but my wife thinks it smells like petrol. I'm in south carolina, upstate. Any guess?IMG_2203.jpg IMG_2202.jpg IMG_2200.jpg

The wood looks like the black locust we have around here or black walnut. Walnut has different smell to different people.

Think I’ll Google black locust and see what I can come up with. Thanks.

The bark does not look like locust to me. Locust trees will have a sort of shag bark. This reminds me of some elm I have dealt with before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

checked out red elm. it's spot on. Found someone describing its smell and I think thats it. also has the same graining and coloring. Thanks for the replies!

Will make some good shoulder wood when it’s dry. It just doesn’t burn real hot.

Will make some good shoulder wood when it’s dry. It just doesn’t burn real hot.

Are we talking about the elm that's commonly called red elm, but is actually slippery elm? That stuff burns rather well as far as heat goes, and is one of the best woods to produce coals. I wouldn't classify it as a shoulder season wood, but oddly enough that's when I use it as if I start a fire at night, it provides a ton of heat even with the air shut off, and I have enough coals 20 hours later to keep a fire going. Around here, it's pretty sought after.

Are we talking about the elm that's commonly called red elm, but is actually slippery elm? That stuff burns rather well as far as heat goes, and is one of the best woods to produce coals. I wouldn't classify it as a shoulder season wood, but oddly enough that's when I use it as if I start a fire at night, it provides a ton of heat even with the air shut off, and I have enough coals 20 hours later to keep a fire going. Around here, it's pretty sought after.

It is to me but only because I burn mostly hedge, locust, oak, and ash. I do agree that it leaves some good coals in the stove though.

It is to me but only because I burn mostly hedge, locust, oak, and ash. I do agree that it leaves some good coals in the stove though.

I understand you there, no hedge or locust here although I have family in Olathe KS that I've often told him I'd trade him a cord of some of that stuff for as much oak as he can haul. Johnny Law prevents us from doing that though I believe. I burn primarily Bur Oak, don't care much for ash, and leave the red elm and some other species to burn when I can sit and enjoy it.

Latest posts

Back