Tree id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good call, especially with that poorly pictured branching habit peeking out of the background.

Next time, consider reviewing this post before posting pics.

In order to help our members identify trees, plants, or even fungi, we will need useful descriptions.
One picture won't be enough, take plenty! Try to keep them in focus, too.

The best tree identification needs more than just a leaf or a closeup of some bark. Send us a whole tree picture, closeups of the bark, twigs, leaves, and small branches. We'll need to know what your climate is and what part of the world you are in. Soil types and plant history are important if we are diagnosing a problem.

While flower parts and seeds are often not available, these might be the best aids to positively identify a plant. Closeups that reveal petal count, the presence or absence of things like sepal, pistles, anthers & how many are present, can be important. How the leaves attach to the stem, whether ligules are present are important, too. Sometimes the final diagnosis will rely on a cross section of a twig, or the shape or features on one of the buds; perhaps even the time of year that the picture of the buds was taken.

Some plants are very easy to identify, others are even difficult to ID by experts with only part of the information needed. Please! Give us all the information you can.

...Another thing: While following a really comprehensive plant ID source, one whole branch of your ID key might depend upon whether there are tiny hairs on the bottom side of a leaf, or whether the ligules are glabrous (without hairs). Don't worry about whether or not you know these terms. Our members probably do. Please come back and follow your thread for a few weeks. If we need more pictures, or have any questions, you can't get an answer without checking to see what we came up with.

The best tree identification needs more than just a leaf or a closeup of some bark. Send us a whole tree picture, closeups of the bark, twigs, leaves, and small branches.
That would make it too easy

This seemed as good as anyplace to put this.

I cannot figure out what this is, it is probably obvious and my brain is not working.

This is in northeast Atlanta, GA in mixed southern pin and other hardwoods. height is about 70'-80'. Everything is tall and narrow in this area.

Attachments

• 20231030_112517.jpg
    20231030_112517.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231030_111815.jpg
    20231030_111815.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20231030_111835.jpg
    20231030_111835.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Looks like a sweet gum to me
Thats what i have been thinking but it has no balls. There's a number of these on the property and all the same no balls. Sweet gum are also here and produce the round spiky things.

Liquidambar orientalis/oriental sweet gum maybe? possibly some "import" version of a normal sweetgum
I believe you are right, after a bit of searching I am leaning Turkish sweet gum or some derivative there of.

Back