Tree ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rguseman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I will start off by telling you that our I am unable to provide pictures so you will have to rely on my description. You guys really seem to enjoy these types of threads so here it goes.

Leaves-Only a couple of suckers to go by but medium length and a little narrow which led me to think it was some type of willow (still my guess)

Bark-Very thick-Approaching 1/2" on lower portions of trunk-with thick ridges. Very dark, almost black in places and somewhat stringy. Has a diamond pattern in places which led me to believe/hope that it was ash but leaves don't seem to match. Bertainly none of ash trees in backyard. Peels off easily

Wood-Almost white with fairly dark heartwood. Splits very easily. Has a slight odor.

I will start off by telling you that our I am unable to provide pictures so you will have to rely on my description. You guys really seem to enjoy these types of threads so here it goes.

Leaves-Only a couple of suckers to go by but medium length and a little narrow which led me to think it was some type of willow (still my guess)

Bark-Very thick-Approaching 1/2" on lower portions of trunk-with thick ridges. Very dark, almost black in places and somewhat stringy. Has a diamond pattern in places which led me to believe/hope that it was ash but leaves don't seem to match. Bertainly none of ash trees in backyard. Peels off easily

Wood-Almost white with fairly dark heartwood. Splits very easily. Has a slight odor.
We do? :p

Serrated edges? Clusters? Alternating? Measurements?

1/2" is NOT thick bark btw.

Wood smells.

Hm, could be a tree! :hmm3grin2orange:

Check out some of the links provided in other tree ID threads for Forestry.com/treeid for the proper way to describe trees verbatum and I'm sure some of us curiouser ones will take a stab at it, barring that, trace a leaf, scan it, then post the pic(with dimensions of course)!

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Gee, sorry for wasting your time. Next time, I will "properly" describe the tree for you instead of winging it from my office. By the way I realize all wood smells. So do all people. Some just smell better, stronger, worse than others. :bowdown:

Gee, sorry for wasting your time. Next time, I will "properly" describe the tree for you instead of winging it from my office. By the way I realize all wood smells. So do all people. Some just smell better, stronger, worse than others. :bowdown:

No waste of my time lol, just yankin' yer chain a tad and mixin' it with a hint or two fer ya. It is often hard to wing a description as there are quite a few species which appear similar, but aren't.
We await your next description *bows back*
Here is the link I was tryin' to get ya to (I was busy with domestic drivel before), > http://forestry.about.com/bltreid09.htm
Enjoy!

:cheers:

Last edited:
And I was just yankin back a little. Maybe a little thin-skinned on a Monday. I will try the link you gave me but as I told Wobdee, I have been to several sites, including the one he gave me a link to and the bark and the leaves don't seem to match up. I know the real solution is to give you guys some pics, measurements, etc. but in the end is it really worth my effort as opposed to just assuming its willow, let it season a little longer than normal and then mixing it in with my oak, maple, etc. Thanks for the help

Back