Tree identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firemaker1111

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am in Southern Delaware, USA. This tree stands out to me in this wooded area it is not like the majority of oak and hickory growing straight up. Has a more deep brown mocha reddish brown hue to the bark and the bark has very deep ridges. It's also growing up almost looks like a spiral. Any guesses on what this tree is? Nevermind the green prickly leaves on the holly next to itIMG_20211227_154505.jpgIMG_20211227_154403.jpgIMG_20211227_154411.jpgIMG_20211227_154458.jpgIMG_20211227_154441.jpgIMG_20211227_154433.jpg

Sassafras. As pointed out above (djg James), you'll know by the aroma when you cut into it.

Makes tasty beverage, but it seemed to me I've seen something about a carcinogenic quality. Which would be a shame, given its other contributions.

Stunning fall color!

I am in Southern Delaware, USA. This tree stands out to me in this wooded area it is not like the majority of oak and hickory growing straight up. Has a more deep brown mocha reddish brown hue to the bark and the bark has very deep ridges. It's also growing up almost looks like a spiral. Any guesses on what this tree is? Nevermind the green prickly leaves on the holly next to itView attachment 951781View attachment 951782View attachment 951783View attachment 951784View attachment 951785View attachment 951786
Looks like Sassafras.

I am in Southern Delaware, USA. This tree stands out to me in this wooded area it is not like the majority of oak and hickory growing straight up. Has a more deep brown mocha reddish brown hue to the bark and the bark has very deep ridges. It's also growing up almost looks like a spiral. Any guesses on what this tree is? Nevermind the green prickly leaves on the holly next to itView attachment 951781View attachment 951782View attachment 951783View attachment 951784View attachment 951785View attachment 951786
Sassafras, it as a very fragrant smell.

This was a toughie...

I'm not sure about sassafras. I have some in my wood shed now and the bark has more color to it than the pic. This tree looks dead but I still don't see any 3 lobed leaves under it. I too thought locust bc how prominent and twisty the main stem is but I'm not sure about that either.

My conclusion is it's a Tulip tree. I would expect there to be many more HUGE-broad leaves on the ground to be conclusive but I do see a few when I zoom in and wear my glasses. Another thing to bring me to Tulip is pic 3. The limb resembles ash bark and Tulips are known to have similar traits to ash. The main trunk's ridges are much flatter than an ash. Sure looks like tulip. But... my wife would tell you I'm probably wrong. My biggest issue is how twisty it is. Tulips grow very straight but hard, clay ground can give trees some twist. When i saw the jalopy in the last shot I thought maybe the ground was an old junk yard, pretty packed earth etc. I would like to see some leaves

This was a toughie...

I'm not sure about sassafras. I have some in my wood shed now and the bark has more color to it than the pic. This tree looks dead but I still don't see any 3 lobed leaves under it. I too thought locust bc how prominent and twisty the main stem is but I'm not sure about that either.

My conclusion is it's a Tulip tree. I would expect there to be many more HUGE-broad leaves on the ground to be conclusive but I do see a few when I zoom in and wear my glasses. Another thing to bring me to Tulip is pic 3. The limb resembles ash bark and Tulips are known to have similar traits to ash. The main trunk's ridges are much flatter than an ash. Sure looks like tulip. But... my wife would tell you I'm probably wrong. My biggest issue is how twisty it is. Tulips grow very straight but hard, clay ground can give trees some twist. When i saw the jalopy in the last shot I thought maybe the ground was an old junk yard, pretty packed earth etc. I would like to see some leaves
A few posts back the OP confirmed it was sassafras based on the smell.

Back