Tree jobs from the weird side

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mapleman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
"There's old tree men and there's bold tree men, but there's no old, bold tree men."

Thanks for the welcoming replies over at the post with the above mentioned title. I decided to open a thread about the weirdest tree jobs climbers and others have encountered. Maybe this thread has been covered before, if not, let's see where it goes:

Back in the late 90s I was working in the Bay Area. We were sent out to a 9-story condo in San Francisco that had been built around a 120' Monterrey Pine. The 6-man crew with Hobbs device and saws took the elevator to the roof. I threw a line over a branch and swung into the tree leaping off a railing in the process. All the branches were lowered to the roof with the Hobbs, then cut into pieces and taken down in the elevator. After that things began to get interesting.

The tree was about 4.5 feet at the base and still sizable 80' up. I began chunking with a Husky 268 and 24" bar, later switching over to a 272 and 28"-32" bar. I bombed everything straight down the atrium to the ground below where we had built a cradle to protect the pillars that held up the building. And as anyone who has worked in SF probably knows, we were working on a hillside too. Elbowing 100-150 pound chunks off the trunk and watching them freefall between the inside of the condo was certainly entertaining.

The clearance between the tree and the hand railings of the atrium varied from a few feet to a few inches. In fact in one place the trunk actually was lodged against a tire lashed to a railing. That was the only place I ran into trouble, wedging my saw in the cut. A small climbing wedge, hammer, and ten-minute ordeal rectified matters.

The whole job took about 5 hours, and I was able to converse with the condo residents between cuts. All in all a job from the weird side.

wierd jobs.....

I took down a 28" Hemlock with a large honey bee hive in it. The beekeeper showed up before me and the crew and screened it off. To make it more difficult it was over the house power. I climbed it and pieced it all down. Just above the hive the bee keeper said to take one more 12" cut to make the log a little shorter/ lighter so it would fit in the back of his F-250. I did and cut through the top of the hive. Bees escaping all over the place and my spikes humming with angry bees inside I quickly nailed a piece of plywood over the top. then went and dropped the hive/ stick onto all the brush to cushion the fall. The stick split and some of the PO'ed bees escaped. The bee keeper had no way to get the 14' log on his truck so I had to set a block in a nearby tree hoist the log into the air pulling with my dump, back him under and secure the log in his truck. Not well thought out on his part. Other motorists must have been surprised to see a 14' log full of angry bees barely staying in the bed of his truck. But we did our job, got a very nice tip and a cool story. Oh and a few bee stings..... Mike

Thanks Mike. I heard about a climber from Atlanta that cut into a hive of honeybees, did a quick repel, ran into the customer's bathtub, and turned on the shower. Supposedly, they counted 2,000 stings at the hospital.

yikes that sucks. The thing that made me nervous about the job was that the day before I ran into a nest of yellow jackets in a willow and got stung a few times before I was able to descend. One of them between the nostrils. Damn that was painful..... Mike

Dunno about weird but I did a nice crane job last year at the Department of Enviroment and Conservation. I know its their job to conserve but why did they build their laboratory around a tree and then put in big fat windows to look at it? I kid you not. 360 degree glass and a E.gomphocephala which are notorious for dropping dead wood as you crane em out.... I sweated bullets over the last few cuts and the chance of a big swing...

I cut into a hornets nest once and I wasn't able to repel right away as my rope was spiraled around the trunk. I had to grin and bear it as I pulled my rope up. The really bad part was and is, I've become allergic to stings, so I have to carry a sting kit around with me. Got stung again working Hurricane Ivan in Pennsacola and my coworker had to shoot me up with some benadryl (sp).

That story about craning out a tree over a lot of glass is a gut wrencher. I did one over a greenhouse, sans the crane. Only popped out one pane when a stub or piece of deadwood misdirected one of my throws. That might be a good lead for a new thread: Most a**hole tightening tree experiences...

Latest posts

Back