Tree lopper's body wedged between branches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since the fire departments in metro DC, and near many (most?) large cites have ladder trucks that are basically modified boom trucks, this type of equipment would quickly get personnel in position immediately above the trapped climber, much like a bucket truck.

You ask about subcontracting, why not just know one or more equipment rental place in the area emergency services serve and rent the equipment for the job?

In the incident in the article at the top of the thread the piece of equipment that would like of come in handy would have been a scissors jack (like used for changing car tires) to spread the two trunks and free the trapped climber.

And this is not makeshift how?

And the appropriate intervention in suspension trauma injury is?

don't take my word for it .... google it for yourselves.
everyone in the tree care industry should know it.
would be nothing worse than killing someone while trying to save them.
it's worth researching.

In the incident in the article at the top of the thread the piece of equipment that would like of come in handy would have been a scissors jack (like used for changing car tires) to spread the two trunks and free the trapped climber.

Thats an interesting idea but one that has a large number of unkowns. The Jaws of Life, as we call that hydro device in Australia, are heavier than an '88 and require secure anchoring points to operate from. Even with all the time thats goes into rescue training with this tool there are still injuries to those being rescued and those doing the rescuing. Now take that apparatus 12 metres off the ground in bucket and in applying the unit hope you dont stress the crotch to the point it shears and causes more injuries below...I am not being critical of new ideas but rather pointing out that in this case it is my opinion that this idea causes more problems than it solves. You could probably do far more with a hand winch attached to his lifeline and a 20l drum of oil for lube.

All of this is moot however as the poor guy was dead when emergency services arrived.

don't take my word for it .... google it for yourselves.
everyone in the tree care industry should know it.
would be nothing worse than killing someone while trying to save them.
it's worth researching.

I am not taking your word for it..... And I don't have to "google" it.

There are several problems with emergency personell calling in a tree service to do a rescue:

1. The tree service is presumably not adequately trained to perform emergency services, and almost certainly is not insured or licensed for it.

have you ever asked an emergency rescue person if they know what suspension trauma is? Most don't.
I'm not saying that all tree workers know what it is, as they should, considering i've been to some tree competitions that NOONE during aerial rescue simulation made any mention of suspension trauma or even "how long have they been hanging there?"
I know it does'nt really matter in this case, but it could in the future cases.
Someone should see to it that the EMS and the tree workers know about this.
The smarter thing would be if you don't know ....don't act like you do.
Don't get me wrong.... my hat is off to the EMS, but it's a big disappointment to know that most EMS and tree workers have no clue as to what suspension trauma is.
I do know that if it was one of my loved ones injured in a tree or similar, i'd rather it be me atleast on site if not performing the rescue.

Thats an interesting idea but one that has a large number of unkowns. The Jaws of Life, as we call that hydro device in Australia, are heavier than an '88 and require secure anchoring points to operate from. Even with all the time thats goes into rescue training with this tool there are still injuries to those being rescued and those doing the rescuing. Now take that apparatus 12 metres off the ground in bucket and in applying the unit hope you dont stress the crotch to the point it shears and causes more injuries below...I am not being critical of new ideas but rather pointing out that in this case it is my opinion that this idea causes more problems than it solves. You could probably do far more with a hand winch attached to his lifeline and a 20l drum of oil for lube.

All of this is moot however as the poor guy was dead when emergency services arrived.

What brand of hydro units are you using? I know exactly what you are talking about with the heavy spreaders. Some of the old ones would take two men and a boy to lift.

Very good point about breaking the crotch before you had his weight suspended.

What brand of hydro units are you using? I know exactly what you are talking about with the heavy spreaders. Some of the old ones would take two men and a boy to lift.

Very good point about breaking the crotch before you had his weight suspended.

Sorry mate, I didn't pay too much attention to brand. I saw what was "current" technology demo'd at the Royal Show (agricultural fair) here in Perth 2 years ago. I remember the weight being enough to make me grunt when lifting but I have no specifics.

Back