Tree Machine, one week deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm taking Glen out today. It's rained for two days, it got cold overnight and they're talking about flurries.

Perfect

Tree Machine said:

That is a fast growing area. Lots of traffic but good investment area. A couple of friends of ours moved over to El jobean and lots in 1 1/2 years have gone from 7,000.00 to 15,000.00. Hot area. Did she find anything?

She's still down there. Hasn't found anything yet. The 'sticker shock' has her knees wobbly. Clearly, the hurricanes didn't scare anyone off.

She joked with me last night about instead of actually moving down there, that I should contract climb in different cities, like we could roam around like tree gypsies.

Is this a LOL?

Are you looking to move or is it just an investment? Nah, the hurricanes did not do anything to deflate prices. We are hiring as I am sure you know. It is like being in the caribbean down here. Small town people nice place. www.dotpalms.com

Nope. She'll be home tonight. Thanks for asking, Harrison.

My girl is one of those frugal, bargain hunter types who is so good at what she does, the bargains usually find her. However, Florida defeated her this week. I must say, I am quite surprised.

Bargains on housing and land are sparse. Prices are artificially high and that's not going to change any time soon.

Last night she again brought up the thought of keeping our Indiana home, and getting an RV for next Winter and tooling the southern states. She and I really enjoy travel, and usually do some extended getaway in the Winter and she was really asking if I thought it would be possible to do contract work. I so love that woman.

I told her, with the internet and nationwide long distance on the cell phones, anything is possible. We would just have to put it out there, our intent. She knows I love making money for my contract bosses, working with new crews and sharing with other climbers, especially noobs. I speak real good Spanish, so I can do well in bilingual setting, and I have any gear I could possibly need for contract climbing, as well as my own insurance.

I could dig it.

Well, Glen (known to all of you as glens) Came over and we did three days together. He became one with the chipper.

First day I took him out in the canoe. We have this fast creek, and it had been raining two days, and I knew the water level was up. We went to the normal put-in, and the water was really high, so we went a couple kilometers further up. The creek was smaller, but the water was still gushing, so we drove upstream yet some more. We got to this place where the stream was very near the headwaters. The stream was just over a meter wide and only knee-deep. We parked an put in.

Each of us had a Silky, so we pruned overhangs and snags, cut small trees laying across the stream and had a really cool trip. I had promised to pay him $15 an hour, so I honored that and he paddled like a big dog, at least for the first three hours. I have to admit, it was a pretty long trip, but Tree Machine was having the time of his life.

We pruned the entire length of the stream, and somewhere near the fourth hour we converged into the big river. We only had about a kilometer to go, and it started raining. Then it started REALLY raining. Then it started hailing, kinda big, like marbles. We're in the boat with the paddles over our heads, getting pinged pretty good. There was really nowhere to go, but there was a bridge downstream. The hail was painful, but at the same time it was quite a hoot. It just kept coming and the surface of the river was filled with these little floating hail balls.

It started to ease up and we paddled like mad to get to the bridge. Just about the time we got under it, the temperature dropped very noticably. We were soaked, and had been for 4 hours. Now we were cold, and the hail kept coming. Now it was getting bigger, and coming down ferociously. I mean BIG hail, kinda like, thank God we're under this bridge-size hail. 3 cm diameter, around the size of ping pong balls. Definitely the biggest hail I'd ever seen. Every time one would hit the water, a splash would pop up about a foot out of the water. We watched tens of thousands of these things hit the water every second, I mean, it was coming down with sheer intensity. The water was dancing, the entire surface. It was surreal. Leaves and small branches were getting stripped out of the trees and depositied in the river and we were scooping up the big hail balls as they floated past. They were just huge. Had we been out on open water, it would have definitely been a painful experience.

We got to our take out, said "Screw working the rest of the day", went home, got hot showers and went to the brew pub.

An exceptional day at work, I must say. Light on income, but maximum fun.

Tree Machine said:
Nope. She'll be home tonight. Thanks for asking, Harrison.

I thought it would be possible to do contract work. I so love that woman.

I could dig it.

I can't offer contract work wages but, can offer fair pay for a 40 hour week in one of the most beautiful places in the USA. See you next winter?

Thanks, Harrison. Right now I'm charging $125 an hour, and I know that's the higher end, but I do that simply to prevent companies from calling me unless the absolutely need me on a bailout job.

My normal rate is $60-90 depending on technicality, but that's because I'm here and schlepp around $50,000 worth of gear, and all the insurances, to every job .

I understand team dynamics that if I were to come in and you pay me more than everyone else, it will piss a bunch of people off and you'd have upheaval in your company and they'd hate me from minute one, no matter what I have to contribute.

We would simply have to do something that works. My intent would be to enhance your company, not drag it down, and leave it better than when I came.

I have no idea what's going to happen betwen now and then, but I am honored by the offer. Thanks, Boss.

Latest posts

Back