Tree Machine, one week deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tree Machine said:
Here's where you are, and where my wife is doing house reconnaisance, and where I am.

TM,
Home prices should be cheaper at hurricane ground zero. At least for awhile anyway. Later, Roger.

i dont have the money for the ticket my current job is a whitewater river cuide and season just started so i think i have about 20 bucks to my name

Yea, North Port and Port Charlotte were where the eye of Hurricane Charlie passed while a Category 4. It would be probably a very good business potential there, as far as being a treeguy goes.

Still, we'd sorta like to be plopped between her parents and mine, which would be just north of the Sarasota airport area.

Now, moving down there is just an idea we're entertaining. I'm not going anywhere for now, as my business is so well-established here. It's like a treeguy Shan-gri-la, tens of thousands of trees in about a three neighborhood area, one nearby lake community, and established chip recycling sites nearby the work zones.

I'm terribly spoiled here. After 10 years in the tree bi here, jobs come spontaneously to my phone with zero advertising, all word-of mouth. or I get jobs by virture of just being out there doing treework, no signs or phone numbers on my truck. This is the hardwood belt, here, and the people really do care about their trees and can afford to have them cared for. All the work I do is within a 4 minute radius of where I live. Efficiency is high. Everything is closeby and convenient. It is like a treeguy dream come true, and now we're talking about moving

I hate to leave this ideal business setting. A thousand regular residential customers who refer me on without me even asking. Consistent work through the Winter which I start booking in July.

You guys wouldn't believe how spoiled I am. I'm greatful for the environment here, the multiple chip recycling sites I have established here and there, the alliances that allow me to put chips on somebody's property that is not my own. And in a cool city, especially if you're into sports, or Auto Racing. For me, it's just the sheer number of trees, it just staggars me. Tens of millions in just the city limits. Hundreds of thousands in just the local zone I live in.

I miss it already, and we haven't even decided if we're gonna go.

My little city creek here would not impress you, unless it was swollen to it's finest levels after a strong rain to the north. It's a stream that flows into the river, about three minute from here. That is the takeout site. We put-in about three or 4 miles away from here, and paddle down to that point 3 minutes from home. It's about an hour and a half trip that's about 2 1/2 hours from beginning to end.

The key is working within windows of opportunity. After it rains, the creek swells. If it Reallly rains, the creek can <i>really</i> swell. But shortly after the rains let up, the the creek levels go down. To have a really awesome trip, you catch the times when the current is really rockin. You get class 2 rapids and a lot of winding, tight bends, and some log obstacles. It is an absolute GAS! I usually only get a couple of REALLY prime opportunities a year where you get both the rains, the ability to not work that part of the day, and you also must find a paddling partner, groundguy, wife, complete stranger, anybody.

You can go if the water level is lower, but then you bring Silky saws so you can prune ofme of the snags and overhangs, in prep for the high-water action. ANOTHER one of the things I'll miss about living here. That, and all the morel mushroom sites I've collected over the years. For me to move to something that is <i>better</i> would be quite a stretch, in my opinion.

The pic is of a groundie from 3 years ago on his first day at work. It kept raining, and we went again the next day.

Glen, are you gonna come in for a day or two or three? I've got some really cool jobs coming up in this current week, one that is more along the lines of commissioned art than it is tree care. A bunch of really good climbs.

Today is Thursday the 14th. I just got called out on contract for another company for the rest of the afternoon today. I'm ready to accept anyone, tomorrow, Friday. Let's ROCK!

Call me, 317-257-6667

Tree Machine said:
Yea, are you on the Gauley or the New River? Guide community is pretty tight. Do you know KC, or Chicken Head?

Do either of you know Steve Crawford?

at the moment i guide on the james in richmond. but have done many others in the east. Steve crawford sounds familiar

rivahrat said:
at the moment i guide on the james in richmond. but have done many others in the east. Steve crawford sounds familiar

I don't know if he even guides any more, but I would guess so. He was very into and would definitely stay in the loop just to be able to get on the river occasionally. He was somewhat of a legend among the WV guide folks.

A whitewater guide should recognize these lines:

Lewis: The first explorers saw this country, saw it just like us.
Drew: I can imagine how they felt.
Bobby: Yeah, we beat it, didn't we? Did we beat that?
Lewis: You don't beat it. You don't beat this river.

Is that from the movie<i>Deliverance</i>?

It rained here last night and this morning. On my way to the contract climb I looked at the creek, and it was up a bit, but not to adrenaline levels.

The contract climb today was almost adrenaline level. The company was attempting to go up and knock out some big-diameter dead in a big Beech, and some big and extensive dead in a really large maple, lightning struck, but still alive.

The beech stopped the company. They got a shot bag caught up there. They had a second shotline, and hit a higher crotch. They had a snap tied into the eye on the rope's end, and the shotbag and line was hooked to that. The whole thing got wedged in a crotch, so they were down two shotlines and a climbing rope. Four guys on site, and no way to get up into the trees. It was a beech and the owner said "No" to using spikes.

I just happened to be available because I was screwin around on the computer and said I'd be there in 20 minutes. I showed up wearing my saddle. The Beech was a par three, and I aced it. The maple, also, I set at par three and aced that shot. I did both trees SRT, climbing on Velocity. I had them both done in 3 three hours, and I had a three man ground crew, which was different for me.

I could love to do that all day, every day. One of the 'ground guys' was the company's top climber. He's a spike climber though. I don't think he'd ever seen single rope technique. I had to attach a second rope to the 120 footer because the shot was higher than 60 feet.

That would have been a good one for a noob to see, but I would have had to pay you, even though the need for a groundie was not there, so better I didn't have anyone in today. Tomorrow, though, is going to be a really cool day, where we'll be able to combine a tree job with a morel hunt on the slopes along a river.

Glen, come on in and let's work together tomorrow. Let's have some fun. Fun jobs also coming Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, possibly Wednesday. Saturday maybe an exceptional morel hunt. The rains came last night, it was cool and cloudy today and I think it'll b e cool and moist through to Saturday, by which time the yellows will be FAT! Conditions are optimum.

See, though, the 65 an hour is for me, of it I pay 15 an hour to the subject, patient, sucker.

Lopa, this guy named Glen is coming in for today and tomorrow.

Last night it poured rain for hours, and though my creek is up, I'd almost rather just do trees today because I've got some good ones. I've gotta decide in the next hour, though, whether we play for the morning and then work, or work all day.

Hmmmm.......

Morel Mushrooms should be up because of the rain and cool of the last two days, and it's getting even cooler, which will help preserve the shrooms and extend the time window of their season. I could hold off til Sunday or Monday and they'll be whoppers by then.

It's all about strategy.

I'm thinking canoe for the morning, hunt morels DURING the paddle, then do a job later today that has a woodlot so we can foray whilst working and getting paid. If I could show Glen how to do a float trip, find morels for dinner and pull down some respectable income in the course of the afternoon, then that would be a good apprentice day.

Gotta show the noob the art of balance.

Last edited:
TM,
That sounds like a great day! And yes, those lines were from Deliverance. That movie is sort of a classic among river guides (for the awesome whitewater scenes of course). Later, Roger (the non-Woodmizer owning Virginian).

Glen is supposed to show up at 9 am. It's been raining all night, all morning, and it is still raining right now.

We could go out and make a living, despite the weather, or we paddle. Just given the current conditions, and all things considered, I must vote for the whitewater canoeing this morning. Isn't that how you break in an apprentice? Play all morning, then go out and make a day's income in an afternoon, while hunting mushrooms.

If I was an apprentice, I'd wanna see that.

Latest posts

Back