• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Tree Monkey 462r

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ASK FOR A LOT OF PICTURES!!! I kept this saw, the guy that wanted it tried to sale his saw & it didn’t sell and we decided to keep what we had. I got it out the other day & ran it,runs great however when I went to clean it up I saw something on the cylinder that I missed before. A big jb weld patch job where the cylinder apparently has been ground through during porting? I would not have paid 1500 dollars for this saw had I known about this. So when you are buying a saw over the phone ask for a lot of pics I know I will in the future.
The guy that sold it to you probably didn't see it either. He would have told you if he did.
Or he would have went back to the porter.
No one likes **** coming back to them & he has a reputation to uphold.

Yeah, not worth $1500 new.

Who knows? The saw may give you many years of service

Correct, the seller didn’t know. I always bought a new saw and sent it to be modified,this is the proper way to do it in my opinion that way if you have a problem most reputable builders will stand by their work. I don’t know the builder but believe him to be very reputable but since I bought it from a guy that had it ported I wouldn’t contact the builder even if it failed. Also you are correct in your opinion that it may give years of trouble free service. That’s what I’m hoping for. It’s true the seller didn’t know of this patch job but he told me in a conversation that even if he had known he would have thought nothing about it and sold it this way. I informed him that this is not part of the porting process but he believes it is. Anyhow I own it it runs well and I can only hope for the best.

Yes I suppose he meant he would tell someone about it, This particular man sells and buys a lot of saws and I believe him to be honest but I don’t believe he really operates chainsaws like many of us do. He has a 660r that I originally was buying from him some of you may know this saw he bought is from a guy who goes buy sawmikazee, a really nice looking saw, I decided that I would get more use out of the 462 so ended up sending him another 100 and bought the 462. I ran it right away within 15 minutes of UPS delivery I liked it but started wishing I had bought the 660 he didn’t want to do any trading so I tried to sell this saw I had a guy trying to buy it he was going to sell a new 462 but we both decided a day early to keep our saws & I cut with this saw for a day & cleaning it up I noticed this (can’t believe I didn’t see it at first) . The seller & I had a couple of unpleasant conversations & I wanted my money back he said no that he doesn’t see any problem with this patch job & I could see that I owned this saw & he wasn’t going to take it back so I’m just going to run it but ever time I do I pop the cover and make sure it’s not cracking past the jb weld patch. I really believe he didn’t know about this repair but he made it clear that this saw is not going back to Indiana lol. Like I said get a lot of pics and ask a lot of questions. As far as asking the builder I don’t know him & I hesitate to contact him since I didn’t deal with him on it but I may still. Do you guys think he would mind a call?

The guys that have modded for me in the past I wouldn’t hesitate to call but they are the guys I paid plus I know them personally.

Yes I suppose he meant he would tell someone about it, This particular man sells and buys a lot of saws and I believe him to be honest but I don’t believe he really operates chainsaws like many of us do. He has a 660r that I originally was buying from him some of you may know this saw he bought is from a guy who goes buy sawmikazee, a really nice looking saw, I decided that I would get more use out of the 462 so ended up sending him another 100 and bought the 462. I ran it right away within 15 minutes of UPS delivery I liked it but started wishing I had bought the 660 he didn’t want to do any trading so I tried to sell this saw I had a guy trying to buy it he was going to sell a new 462 but we both decided a day early to keep our saws & I cut with this saw for a day & cleaning it up I noticed this (can’t believe I didn’t see it at first) . The seller & I had a couple of unpleasant conversations & I wanted my money back he said no that he doesn’t see any problem with this patch job & I could see that I owned this saw & he wasn’t going to take it back so I’m just going to run it but ever time I do I pop the cover and make sure it’s not cracking past the jb weld patch. I really believe he didn’t know about this repair but he made it clear that this saw is not going back to Indiana lol. Like I said get a lot of pics and ask a lot of questions. As far as asking the builder I don’t know him & I hesitate to contact him since I didn’t deal with him on it but I may still. Do you guys think he would mind a call?
I'd call the porter up and talk with him, I doubt it could make the situation any worse.

I wanted to say also the seller once bought a Stihl 461r Arctic from me & sold it back to me about a year later for the same price less shipping! He didn’t make a dime.it’s not my intention to denigrate anyone whatsoever. The saw runs like a little beast and most likely will continue to do so. I just want to remind people to ask a lot & look at a lot of pics. Thanks guys.

If you're worrying about the porter "minding" a call. I wouldn't call .
If I paid $1500 for a new saw that was ported by an experienced dude & it came back like that,
the porter "minding" me calling him does not figure in the equation.

Ya, the seller does not run saws & I doubt he ever did.
Doesn't really matter because he's competent in what the going prices are.

Just run the saw . If you do a search under JB Weld it has been used many times in like kind of situations.

If you're worrying about the porter "minding" a call. I wouldn't call .
If I paid $1500 for a new saw that was ported by an experienced dude & it came back like that,
the porter "minding" me calling him does not figure in the equation.

Ya, the seller does not run saws & I doubt he ever did.
Doesn't really matter because he's competent in what the going prices are.

Just run the saw . If you do a search under JB Weld it has been used many times in like kind of situations.
I’m not shy about calling a saw builder I assure you, not the least bit what I said was I bought the saw from a guy that had Treemonkey port it, I didn’t hire him to build a saw for me if I had paid Tree Monkey to port the saw that is completely different I would have called him as soon as I popped the cover and asked about the patch job, some guys on here know him I don’t, most likely he wouldn’t feel obligated to talk to the second or third owner is what I meant!! And as stated I AM running it believe me.

I have two saws that I built (for myself) with JB weld in them. No issues and the one is my favorite saw. The weld has been in there at least 3 years.

I would run it until it blows. If it fails extremely early, contact tree monkey. Otherwise, I wouldn’t bother him. You decided to keep it already and I figure if it gives you good life it was worth it.

Run it hard and post videos for the rest of us

The original guy that was going to buy this saw was going to run into marital problems so he’s out. I have one more guy that is trying & one local guy. I am going to honor these guys trying to buy it for a few days & hope they don’t. I had a guy that has done a lot of buying & selling on saw forums, he called me yesterday & told me I shouldn’t have came off my original price, anyhow I want to throw a bar back on it and fall some trees dang it.
must be his wife found out how many saws He all ready had LOL

Haha the guy had purchased a saw about a week before & I guess the Lady found out about this one & didn’t understand a mans needs to own saws!!! Pretty funny. Back when I made a living with a saw I bought a new one every year and kept the one as a backup that’s it. After I quit falling timber I believe I need about 5 or 6 at all times. Kind of crazy how we humans 🤔 behave. Although I only have two at the moment. Saw shop got in one 661r last week and I snatched it up.

Haha the guy had purchased a saw about a week before & I guess the Lady found out about this one & didn’t understand a mans needs to own saws!!! Pretty funny. Back when I made a living with a saw I bought a new one every year and kept the one as a backup that’s it. After I quit falling timber I believe I need about 5 or 6 at all times. Kind of crazy how we humans 🤔 behave. Although I only have two at the moment. Saw shop got in one 661r last week and I snatched it up.
you sell it yet?

I kept it, it is the saw I always grab & it hasn’t given me any trouble. I love the 462. I have had an Arctic Stihl for years but when they got real hard to come buy I bought a husky 572 heated handle knowing they have to be ported to really get the torque and power needed and holy cow that husky is a runner, builder said it takes about 10 tanks for the computer to recognize the increase then they really get rowdy I’m on about fifth tank. I cut through a spring pole while bucking a log and bloodied my nose so I pulled the sticker (bloody) off the tree monkey.I want to add that the builder of this 572 is a first class guy and saw builder!!!!All my other new saws were built in Wa. This builder is in NC.

Attachments

• 9E86624A-4246-4758-AA59-9A072A75E4DA.jpeg
    9E86624A-4246-4758-AA59-9A072A75E4DA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • CA05063A-58B4-4AC5-ABC6-18B80BDCA42C.jpeg
    CA05063A-58B4-4AC5-ABC6-18B80BDCA42C.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I kept it, it is the saw I always grab & it hasn’t given me any trouble. I love the 462. I have had an Arctic Stihl for years but when they got real hard to come buy I bought a husky 572 heated handle knowing they have to be ported to really get the torque and power needed and holy cow that husky is a runner, builder said it takes about 10 tanks for the computer to recognize the increase then they really get rowdy I’m on about fifth tank. I cut through a spring pole while bucking a log and bloodied my nose so I pulled the sticker (bloody) off the tree monkey.I want to add that the builder of this 572 is a first class guy and saw builder!!!!All my other new saws were built in Wa. This builder is in NC.
I knew if you ran it you would like it LOL. I love all of my Tree Monkey or Egan ported saws. you won't have any issues with your 462.

what's the NC porters name? and what is his lead time and price?

His name is Randy (Zoo City Sawz) I feel like I should get his permission to give his price and wait time? My ported saws from about 2001 until a couple years ago was a guy named Kenneth Dickinson in Bellingham Wa then I used Daniel Urich & also had a couple Madsens power tunes they called them. I always paid 250 except madsens little deal was 100 I dont even remember what it consisted of but it wasn’t a full build. I worked with some guys who ran Egan saws I remember how good his 660’s sounded running in the next strip!

His name is Randy (Zoo City Sawz) I feel like I should get his permission to give his price and wait time? My ported saws from about 2001 until a couple years ago was a guy named Kenneth Dickinson in Bellingham Wa then I used Daniel Urich & also had a couple Madsens power tunes they called them. I always paid 250 except madsens little deal was 100 I dont even remember what it consisted of but it wasn’t a full build. I worked with some guys who ran Egan saws I remember how good his 660’s sounded running in the next strip!
I almost used Daniel, but I heard some people had issues with Him? he still doesn't port, does he? Ya Egans saws are nice. I have been scammed in the past on port jobs, so I always get nervous trying someone new LOL

Back