Tree plastic issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aidifla

Reaction score
I have a tree which has grown with plastic around one branch, the plastic has been consumed by the trunk growth. The side branch below the plastic shows good health, the top of the tree above the plastic has leaves falling and yellowing leaves. is there a way to extract the plastic and have the tree recover, or do i need to cut the trunk below the plastic. In the photo attached you can see the bark growing on each side of the plastic.

Attachments

• 63A2E523-9B53-4ABB-826A-095582BDF5E9.jpeg
    63A2E523-9B53-4ABB-826A-095582BDF5E9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
I'd pick out what you can without damaging the bark and just leave the rest. The tree will grow around it.
Hi ATH,
Thanks for your reply and advice. I believe the plastic must have been there from when the tree was very young. It does seem to have restricted its trunk cross-sectional area. Take a look at the photo attached, the branch coming off the main trunk down low is very healthy, the other part of the tree looks really sick. Do you think it will recover?

Attachments

• 0C1EEFBA-880E-4D5D-9EE3-DA289CFDEBF0.jpeg
    0C1EEFBA-880E-4D5D-9EE3-DA289CFDEBF0.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
That plastic had been there for a very long time, I would doubt it caused the issue over night, how long have you been noticing the decline?
Hi Sean,
We just bought the house so i dont know the history, i was very confused why the tree showed such different health in different sections, then i discovered the plastic. Im assuming it is the cause but is there any other cause?

Hi Sean,
We just bought the house so i dont know the history, i was very confused why the tree showed such different health in different sections, then i discovered the plastic. Im assuming it is the cause but is there any other cause?
By the way, it started dropping the leaves when the heat of the summer arrived, but why not the other branch? I assuming its choked by the plastic and was surviving until it need more nutience

Well knowing that you just bought the house and have limited history with the tree makes it harder to discount the plastic being the issue, however that branch should have been showing signs of decline for a wile. Not just suddenly wilting. I'm sorry but can give no other good reasons, or if this is normal because of the plastic in the tree, as we have no history on the tree. I've seen trees grow around all sorts of things and haven't experienced a singular branch issue from such. Normally a tree compartmentalize the issue area (grows around it) and lives a more or less normal life with no one the wiser.

Can you take a picture of the trunk where it meets the ground? It could be possible that you have stem girdling roots.

Sent from my SM-A205W using Tapatalk

Back