Tree problems....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracey

Reaction score
We had sugar maple that gradually had less and less leaves on it and this spring the bark turned black as if it was set on fire. We had it looked at and it had some disease and we were told not to plant any other maples for the disease is in the soil. Well we have since had it cut just last week and looking for a tree to put in around that area. I live in the New York area and looking to put something in soon. We are looking for some type of shade tree. We are not too crazy about how the Zelcova leaves look, but considering Bradford Pear is it a good idea?:(

I would highly recomend not getting a bradford pear.
as it has been said here before bradford pears have include bark at the crotch and are very weak and very suseptable to storm damage.

for shade white oaks are great Quercus alba
im a big fan of willow oaks Quercus phellos

thats my opinion:D

Check to see if the disease is "virticilium wilt" There are a number of genus that are suseptible to this pest.

Also get a small tree and watch it grow, the larger the plant the more stressed it is comming form the harvest. Studies have shown that a 1 inch tree will recover and surpass a 4 inch tree.

Do a search to find the instructions I've posted on the latest way to plant a tree.

Thank you for the information I did check out the information on how to plant a tree....it was helpful. But I still have to find a tree. We really love maples but cornell said for us not to plant another in that area. I forget what the disease was called that it had. We really like the pear trees but from what I am reading they are not strong trees. We need a strong tree that will grow moderately, provide shade( we have the sun on the front of the house all day), we are zone 4-7, and can not be a messy tree (no nuts, fruits etc.) near driveway. We have to act fast before the weather changes here.

Thanks,

Tracey

Latest posts

Back