Tree Recomendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a landing that is about 15x10. It has a window and gets lots of good light as it is on the third floor. It has no heat but it doesnt get freezing either. I would like to put a small dwarf or som type of ornamental out there that will sustain these conditions. I would prefer leaves but a conifer is fine too. What are your recomendations? I will be buying a house next year and it will be kept inside there also.

Thanks!

I have a robelinni palm, and yes thats spelled wrong, it now stands, in the pot, at 7'
I think it can take freezing for a very short time.
It takes 1.5 cu ft of cypress grade A just to mulch the pot.
I'm also after an australian tree fern.
-Ralph

I'll look for one to scan, I know I haven't pic'd it since the move.
-Ralph

I just went out nd bought a Ficus tree it is about 2 feet tall and is in a 10" pot. It has lots of GREEN leaves and has some dead stuff towards the base of the tree. Should I remove the dead stringy stuff like on a normal tree or is this meant to be there? Any other tips on caring for these trees? How quickly will it grow? I would like it to be around 5 feet tall and hav a decent canopy. Can I prune the lower limbs to raise the canopy of it up?

Yes Ginkos get BIG! Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I once heard they are the "ancient missing link" between conifers and deciduous trees. I saw some neat fossils in ginko nat. parf in wash st. Along with walnut and others.
On your fikas, I don't think the dead growth will grow back, I would saw prune it out like any other plant.

Trignog said:
Yes Ginkos get BIG! Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I once heard they are the "ancient missing link" between conifers and deciduous trees. I saw some neat fossils in ginko nat. parf in wash st. Along with walnut and others.
On your fikas, I don't think the dead growth will grow back, I would saw prune it out like any other plant.

"ancient missing link" between conifers and deciduous trees?
Well not exactly. A very unique species though. Below is a link to info on this special tree.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kwanten/thetree.htm

I have gotten the pic scanned, BUT its a bit at 4K and too big. Anyone know a site where I can resize it?
-Ralph

Latest posts

Back