Tree Removal Costs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Horizons

Reaction score
Seeking advice on pricing for the removal of a monster size tree. The homeowner purchased the home during the warm months and didn't know that the tree chipped and dropped barks each time it rained heavy. Looking to give her the best service, but also make a profit for my time.

For all of you climbers, this would be the perfect way to spend your early morning hour. The tree is scary to look at because the top is begining to spread in all directions and the owner is getting nervous.

I am new to the field and actually trying to get some experienced guys on board.
Can someone offer a few tips for the Rookie?

Blue Horizons

Hi Blue Horizons,
This question is like asking how to build a good car. I could respond with "Get some good tires" but that really wouldn't help you.

To grossly over-simplify it, remove a tree in very small pieces. The smaller the pieces, the safer you and everyone else will be. Generally, I never cut pieces larger than I could carry once they are on the ground (<200lbs.). By doing it this way, the rigging and handling of each piece is easier and safer.

If the tree is a real monster - like a 250 year old willow oak, and is in an urban setting - like beside someone's house, you will need to have professional arborists do the work. This type of tree situation would NOT be one to learn with, except as an observer.

I will list a couple of ideas for you here. Understand that my list is far from complete and that you should only use it as a starting point to start searching for what you need to learn.

Always buy insurance for doing tree work! Obey all ANSI standards. Each climber should be supported be two means, each rope system having at least a 5000lb tensile strength. Hardhats, safety glasses, hearing protection must always be used. Never work near powerlines without proper training. Understand that dead or dying trees are much more dangerous. Bill a job by how much time and how much risk is involved. Risk is about how high and how long above ground and about what hazards: house, rotten wood, animals, weather, powerlines, etc. you have to deal with.

As a business man, you need to hire a good, experienced climber and buy insurance for tree work. Then, try to learn by watching what he does.

I hesitated to respond to this post because I realize that, no matter how much I write, I will leave out MANY important things that could save you or one of your employees lives. And tree work is definitely a life-threatening occupation.

Best of Luck

Basically, I found cost to be what the owner is willing to pay. I recently had a 35-year-old Pin Oak removed that was overgrowing the house. It cost me $800 which included grinding out the stump of the Oak and also a Crabapple tree that I had removed myself. The workers ground up the branches, cut the trunk into manageable-size pieces, and did an excellent cleanup. I was very satisfied. A friend had a similar situation but hired a few guys who were driving thru the neighborhood in a pick-up truck with out-of-state licenses. He paid $500 but they tore up his yard something awful. BTW, the $800 tag on my job would have cost a lot less where I grew up in rural Pennsylvania.

Every job is different, I've done $200 removals, because the were staight and by the road. I could leave the big wood for the client.

I've done a $4000 remaoval of a willow in a back yard that we had to cut everything down to drag out to chip, bust up th wood to haul away and have a stump that was over 5ft dia + the surface roots ground out.

An aquaintance of mine does monster removals with cranes that have the boom leaning out so far that they take out 400lbs chunks and got 2 ft of fishpole drop (scary!!!!). $5500.

Here are some decent crane pics (ha ha, pun intended!)

http://www.lancerigging.com/tree.htm

Back