Tree removal estimates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crater

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone estimates a tree removal? I'm am really anal about how I estimate my projects so that I may have a history to look back on if I see a loss in profit. And I don't want to knock on the HO door and scratch my head and say it'll be $$$ to remove your tree.
One easy question like "how did you come up with that amount" could be a very embarssing moment.
I understand years of experence helps alot but still "how do you come up with that amount?"
like DBH, size of crown, hazards, height, accessability, cleanup

Well whats it cost you to operate hourly or even daily , find what your magic number and than learn very well what your daily or what your capable of accomplishing in hr . This is often a complex thing and takes yrs. and experience to not shoot yourself in the foot by being too high or the WORST and be too low, because once you get labeled as cheap its tough to break out..There is no one here that can accurately answer that question except you.

Well whats it cost you to operate hourly or even daily , find what your magic number and than learn very well what your daily or what your capable of accomplishing in hr . This is often a complex thing and takes yrs. and experience to not shoot yourself in the foot by being too high or the WORST and be too low, because once you get labeled as cheap its tough to break out..There is no one here that can accurately answer that question except you.

I shall answer. I have 13 guys, that is 104 man hours. To be conservative, at 50 buck per hour per guy that is 104 man hours. At 50 bucks per gut that is 5200 bucks a day. I do this every day. And yes, I can answer this as I am the guy with 30 plus years making my boss money and competing in a tough economic enviroment. Ther is no magical number. At the end of the year, it all adds up.
Jeff:)

I shall answer. I have 13 guys, that is 104 man hours. To be conservative, at 50 buck per hour per guy that is 104 man hours. At 50 bucks per gut that is 5200 bucks a day. I do this every day. And yes, I can answer this as I am the guy with 30 plus years making my boss money and competing in a tough economic enviroment. Ther is no magical number. At the end of the year, it all adds up.
Jeff:)

Yea thats your number not his , so you know what he needs to make a day to be competitive , I know my numbers aswell but not his , so maybe you misunderstood? So does that make sense or you still gonna be crass?

I also bid in a similiar way. but not all days are equal. so my target $$ is usually at the end of a week. some days are better than others. and insurance work is usually the best paying.

Yea thats your number not his , so you know what he needs to make a day to be competitive , I know my numbers aswell but not his , so maybe you misunderstood? So does that make sense or you still gonna be crass?

I dont mean to be crass, it is my number and he is good with it. Sorry if I came off as an ass.
Jeff

Are you in the wind tunnel today ?

sure am :) waiting for the rain to penetrate the frost and loosen up the roots on the heavy conifers. trucks are all fueled and saw's are sharp. guys have been instructed to be on standby... definitely could use a good payday how about you? much flooding. I have a friend working out in this crap in Newark. but he hit a homerun with the job hes on

sure am :) waiting for the rain to penetrate the frost and loosen up the roots on the heavy conifers. trucks are all fueled and saw's are sharp. guys have been instructed to be on standby... definitely could use a good payday how about you? much flooding. I have a friend working out in this crap in Newark. but he hit a homerun with the job hes on

Yea, reluctantly ready , I hate the rain but need the money ... I have a good feeling about the next week as well I think this month will finish well, and if it does than I think its time for some new tires on the trucks...

It basically comes down to time and operating costs.

Figure out your "magic number" and try to shoot for that when you are estimating time and cost. Sometimes the market or particular job will bear more like when there is high demand due to a storm or a hazardous tree that no one else wants to touch. Liability and personal risk should also be a part of the equation.

The ones who really profit are the ones who have learned the tricks to do it quick, fast and in a hurry.

Should have learned pricing before you start up a business or employ a qualified salesperson. no one but the person you are estimating a job for will benefit from a tree company that has their pricing all over the place. lots of newbie's in the business throw prices around that don't reflect the job and then the HO or contractor expects the seasoned business to compete with numbers that make no sense at all. being a great "TREEMAN/WOMAN" is totaly different than being a great/good business person. consider employing a part time sales person until you know the best way to price your work. you will most likely,

1) sell more jobs
2) get better money for your work
3) have more time to actually get the work done
4) skip the "learning the hard way" losing money on jobs
5) look more professional

if your not sure now, then you will be way over your head when your called for a very large job. p.s. this is in general for new start ups, not pointed towards the OP....

Last edited:
I can guarantee I'm not the greatest at this. I feel like I throw good bids out there, but then I don't get a few jobs. Here's my latest example, let me know what you would have bid, then I'll tell you what I bid. I havn't heard back from the guy. HO needs 5 trees total dropped without lawn damage, no concern here. 1 large maple, maybe 50'-55', no hazards, in open. 4 other trees near house, 2 cherries, 2 maples. 1 maple is 40-45', dead top, no branches, can use one of the cherries to put block in to remove it. only a very moderate chance of anything hitting tree. They could be cut and dropped from ground , but they want no lawn damage. It's a straight forward job. HO says he used to do this work as a ground/ rope guy with his uncle, but wife is too concerned about him climbing and doing it himself. Oh, can't use lift equipment, unless you want to plywood whole yard. Hope this is enough. HO is also doing all the cleanup, brush and all.

I can guarantee I'm not the greatest at this. I feel like I throw good bids out there, but then I don't get a few jobs. Here's my latest example, let me know what you would have bid, then I'll tell you what I bid. I havn't heard back from the guy. HO needs 5 trees total dropped without lawn damage, no concern here. 1 large maple, maybe 50'-55', no hazards, in open. 4 other trees near house, 2 cherries, 2 maples. 1 maple is 40-45', dead top, no branches, can use one of the cherries to put block in to remove it. only a very moderate chance of anything hitting tree. They could be cut and dropped from ground , but they want no lawn damage. It's a straight forward job. HO says he used to do this work as a ground/ rope guy with his uncle, but wife is too concerned about him climbing and doing it himself. Oh, can't use lift equipment, unless you want to plywood whole yard. Hope this is enough. HO is also doing all the cleanup, brush and all.

Someone is going to try and do it when(if) the ground is frozen or snow on the ground. throw some tires around, maybe a couple old sheets of plywood. hang a couple trees off others and cut some from the ground and take a chance. prolly worth 1,200.00 to 1,500.00...someone else prolly bid 800.00-1,000.00... its funny how some people are willing to take a chance at other peoples houses

I agree highpoint, someone probably will go 800-1000, I was higher. Guess it don't matter what people know i bid, I bid $1,750. Thats $350 a tree with no clean up. I suppose if trusted he was a rope ground guy, I could use him as ground guy, and not pay mine, but he didn't know anything about using blocks, and port a wrap, said he did it 15 years ago. havn't heard back yet, but I also know he's pretty busy. If he balks at it, maybe I come down a hair, but, I think it's a good price.

I agree highpoint, someone probably will go 800-1000, I was higher. Guess it don't matter what people know i bid, I bid $1,750. Thats $350 a tree with no clean up. I suppose if trusted he was a rope ground guy, I could use him as ground guy, and not pay mine, but he didn't know anything about using blocks, and port a wrap, said he did it 15 years ago. havn't heard back yet, but I also know he's pretty busy. If he balks at it, maybe I come down a hair, but, I think it's a good price.

you can alway's tell him your looking for your trucks to be seen to kick off the year, and drop the price a couple bucks.. better to start high, you can always go down if you want.. lot harder to go up in price without looking bad.

besides, who needs money, when you got rep's... here's one for ya!!!

Got one coming up for 4 Maples, all around 55'. I bid $2600 with clean up, $2100 to leave lay. He chose to have me just put them on the ground. All four trees are over the house and a chain link fence runs lengthwise underneath all of them. Every limb is going to have to be lowered. I can bomb most of the spars.

That price is about a third less than I would have got a year and a half ago.

Back