Tree repair help (Oak tree, i think)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

semi

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
During a recent wind storm, my 60+ foot oak tree in our yard split in half. The half that is still standing looks to be in good condition. However, the split side has a large tear without bark where it broke. How should i go about repairing this. The tree is too nice to let die. I am wondering if i should paint the exposed area or tar? What is the best practice?

I had a big red oak that had a big fork up bout 1/2 way up the trunk with two Big branches coming out of it. Must have been included bark cause during a storm it split all the way down to the base and left the one side naked and exposed. It lasted about a year and now its finally toppled over because it go too weak from something or just wasnt structurally sound anymore and gave way to being top heavy.Have'nt closely investigated it yet but I'll have more firewood to cut. Hope yours turns out better. Maybe I'll try and get a pic on here for ya. If there was possiblity of it doing damage to something when it comes down I'd think about saying bye bye.

Last edited:
Tom Dunlap said:
No paint or any goop. In the profession, we stopped painting wounds over 30 years ago.

Why is that, Tom? I've noticed that, but don't know the reasons.

Heres that tree I was talking about. You can see how far the split went. Like I said it stood for another year then succumbed to the elements.

Alex Shigo's research showed that wound treatments had little beneficial effect and sometimes added to decay.

If you haven't read his books you need to. Some of his writings are on the web, google them.

Back