Tree Roots and Brick Border Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph2

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I put a brick ring around a Chinese Pistache when planted about 8 yrs ago. The ring was about 6 ft diameter, bricks on their ends, about 5 inches deep.

Just removed the bricks and found some roots had grown around and thru the gaps in about 4 of the bricks, When the bricks were removed, some bark came off the roots and some the roots are thin where they grew in the gaps.

Do I need to put something on the skinned bark areas or just fill in with dirt?

Hard to tell without pictures.

As trees grow, so must their brick barriers. Walls turn roots the wrong way--sometimes pruning is needed to correct problems.

But Jeff might be right.

Thanks, Jeff and treeseer. I don't see any roots that are trying to wind around the tree, so maybe I got rid of the bricks in time. I have not added dirt to fill in the holes yet and the skinned bark places are changing to a dark color and hopefully starting to heal.

Thanks, Jeff and treeseer. I don't see any roots that are trying to wind around the tree, so maybe I got rid of the bricks in time. I have not added dirt to fill in the holes yet and the skinned bark places are changing to a dark color and hopefully starting to heal.

Sometimes you just gotta leave things alone, they made it this far.
jeff :)

Latest posts

Back