Tree roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biggaron

Reaction score
Will suckers grow out of roots that have been cut from the stump? In other words, if I grind the stump down and cut off the roots connected to it, can suckers continue to grow from those roots if I don't remove them completely?

Depends on the kitchen and of tree. Ailanthus, Crabapple, Sassafras, Black locust...(and many others - those are the first that come to mind), yes.

Hmm... not sure. The tree was taken out a year ago, and I don't remember what kind it was. But there are several suckers growing now. Was just hoping I could grind the stump down to kill them off. But sounds like I should get as much of the roots as possible as well. Thanks for the help on this.

How tall is the stump? Best bet might be to make a fresh cut a couple inches lower on the stump then treat the outer ring with an appropriate herbicide. this will deliver the herbicide to the roots so they can't sucker. Then have the stump ground a couple weeks later.
There is a "Cut Stump" section here: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/AG245

There is also a link to a table with several herbicide options at the end of the article.

Latest posts

Back