Tree service insurance/liability question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How can I be sure if the people a tree service brings into my property are insured by them? They, the company, have shown me their proof of insurance, but what should I look for to make sure their "crew" in covered and that the crew are not just some day workers or such they picked up at 7-eleven?
Even if he brings them will I still be liable if one of the crew gets hurt?

Many one owner type guys around here who pick up crews to help him cleanup the site while the he's up in the tree cutting.

Do not be afraid to ask questions. I don't know your state's laws or requirements, but here in Montana we have to have not only liability insurance but workers comp (or carry an exemption certificate). You as the client may request a copy of that w/c or exempt cert just the same as for the liability insurance. I would make sure that the w/c coverage stated how many employees were covered.

A good idea, always go with referenced companies. The cheapest is not always the best, nor is the most expensive. The company that friends and neighbors have used time and time again, who have proved reliable and fair, who show up with the same crew over and over again are probably going to be your best shot.

Sylvia

it's you responsibility to make sure they are covered and don't just rely on a card or paper from the tree company, call their insurance company and ask what & who is covered.

Back