Tree suckers all over the place

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipehaller

Reaction score
I'm a new guy to this forum with a question thats driving me nuts.
I hope this is the right place for my question ?
A couple of years ago we cut down a tree from our front yard and then had a guy come in and grind the stump down about a foot below the ground level. I don't remember what kind of tree my wife said it was , but the trunk was about 12 or 14 inches in diameter. Now for the last 2 spring and summer seasons we have been having little trees sprout up all over my lawn, flower beds all over the place even in my neighbors yard. We have been pulling them out by the roots, spraying with Round up where possible, even dug down to whats left of the stump and larger roots last summer and drilled holes in them and poured straight Round up in the holes.
Their is more of them this year, Please help, I can sit on my front porch and watch them grow.
Thank You, Gene Gregory :confused: :angry:

GG, no need to lose your sanity over this. Roots will stop suckering if you simply keep chopping them. Try to get low enough to remove the bark they're sprouting from.

Getting physical may seem quite 19th-century, but it's cheaper and easier on your health and the soil & water's than dumping glyphosphate.

Here's the answer...

6548176.jpg

The suckers will continue to sprout and grow as long as there is stored energy within the remaining roots below. Unfortunately, there is no easy solution. Some people will recommend chemical means, but one should be careful that such chemicals don't leach to nearby trees, shrubs, or flower beds.

See if your local equipment rental place has a D8 with a root rake you could rent, that will take care of the buggers.

Seriously, try something a little more powerful than Roundup, maybe that Ortho Brush Be Gone would work . You can buy that stuff about anywhere.

If that doesn't get it you going to have chop, like Guy said, and maybe even pry them out with a long bar and a block of wood, not fun, but crude and effective

Larry

Back