Tree That is buried in the ground

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
come a long

I looked at the tree again and I'm going to try the come-a-long approach. Wish me luck it is a real big tree. Have to get some heavy duty equipment first though.

If you are having a problem getting a line underneath the tree, got to your local Mega Hardware store and get an electricians "fish tape", you should be able to get one of the off brand ones fairly cheap. I used one as an alarm technician to pull wires through conduit, then again as a tow truck driver to get slings under rolled vehicles. They have a million and one uses, I never know when they will come in handy next.

order 20 tons of fill and cover!!

problem solved!lol

Hell, some of the guys here could sure shamboozle the owner of the tree with about 20 tons of bull sht. Just such a good cover up job, nobody will see it
;)

Really, just get a sawzall as in cut off saw from the Home Depot rental store. Make a few calls to see which store is big enough to carry what you want. It will cost you about 30 something bucks for a four hour go. That's more than plenty of time. If no HD around, see if you can't buy a used one. Use it, then sell if for a hot price so you can get at least most of your money back on it w/o holding on to a machine that is generally useless to you.

If you don't know what it is, it is basicly like a big chainsaw motor, but it spins a big carbide wheel instead of a blade. It's actually made for cutting crap like cement and rebar, but no tree can resist this thing. Dirt, mud, what ever. You're not going to hurt this machine.

If you are in doubt about how to cut it up, you're going to cut out chunk by chunk until you produce some manageable pieces. It's not going to cut nice and smooth like a chainsaw would.

IMG_4968-vi.jpg

It's cutting rock, OK buddy. It will work like a wood chuck.

Is the spar buried or is the spar up on stilts...? What I mean is, is the trunk actually down in the grit and grime, or are the limbs stuck into the soil/swamp/detirus/etc and the spar is lifted u ouf of the muck?

If its on stilts, put your big-boy pants on, carefully cut all of the stilts until the spar is free, and then roll the spar with whatever you prefer, come-along, cant hook, winch, etc.

If the spar is buried, and in a swamp, whats the motivation behind recovery?

you say there is alot of muck, but if you can get an excavator (good size, big enough to do the job, dont waste your time with a mini-hoe) with a thumb close enough, swing the boom out, close the thumb, and pluck the spar out of the grime.

PICS!!!

Just guessing (without any pictures - hint, hint).

You might try digging around where you are going to make cuts and clean away as much dirt as you can. Make your primary cuts with standard chain, then switch to carbide tipped chain for the lower, nasty cuts. Cut it into as few sections as you can so that you can winch the pieces out of the mud, then hose off the dirt and cut into smaller sized pieces.

The carbide tipped chain is more expensive to buy and more expensive to sharpen, but depends on how much you want that tree.

Otherwise, cross cut down as close to the mud as you can get, and rip cut along the trunk, or use splitting wedges, to get half round shaped sections. Then drag the remainder out or use an axe if you want the rest.

Just thinking out loud . . .

Philbert

We have this problem when we have dropped big trees on piles of rocks or in gravel or on steep hillsides. Philbert has the idea that we use, Crosscut as low as you can (biggest bar you have is a big help), then cut the remaining into bits small enough to cant hook over, clean and cut.

Or use a tirfor to shift it.

Wedges are a treemans best friend. You would be surprised what one can do with a wedge, a sledge, and chainsaw.

Wedges are a treemans best friend. You would be surprised what one can do with a wedge, a sledge, and chainsaw.

I correct myself: a sharp chainsaw.:greenchainsaw:

Back