Tree Treasures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
found scorpions, preying mantis', tree houses, cicada skins, raccoon poop, paper airplanes, arrows, rc airplanes, cats, raccoons, mice, rats, squirrels, squirrel babies, cocroaches, snakes, golf balls, baseballs, footballs, frisbees, bullets (in the trunk, found them with the saw ofc).
probably the most interesting thing was a slash pine growing in the crotch of a liveoak.

ive found alot of fence and nails. mylar ballons. squirrel babies. i almost got landed on by a sugar glider this week.

my dad delivered a load of wood to a small paper mill and unloaded right onto the chain that pulls the wood into the mill. when he came back with a second load the mill wasnt running and the scaler said that they found a big metal pulley in one of the peices of wood. really screwed up the riggin in the mill. but it was completely grown in, dad never saw it.

ive found alot of fence and nails. mylar ballons. squirrel babies. i almost got landed on by a sugar glider this week.

my dad delivered a load of wood to a small paper mill and unloaded right onto the chain that pulls the wood into the mill. when he came back with a second load the mill wasnt running and the scaler said that they found a big metal pulley in one of the peices of wood. really screwed up the riggin in the mill. but it was completely grown in, dad never saw it.

haha. when i started palms early in my career, guy i worked for had a 6'x12' trailer for the brush that he'd tow with his s-10 blazer. water pump went out one day and we replaced it, we left the old one in the trailer and intended on taking it back for a core later. we forgot about it ofc and it ended up getting dumped at the dump and ruined their grinder/chipper blade. they must have known what type of vehicle it came from because the next time we dumped, they came up and explained what had happened and asked if we knew anything. ofc we lied, but i noticed they weren't talking to any of the other patrons with different vehicles

ive found a irish moss bottle in a fig tree the bottle was from pre 1950 i been told, and next strangest thing was a power pole glass insulator in a gum tree, funny thing was this gum tree was literally in the middle of no where, the driveway was 2.2 ks long gives you idea how far from power lines it was

We used to find ball shot in some of the ancient Oaks we removed in Atlanta. We speculated it was from the Civil War.

Found a horseshoe completely enveloped into the tree. Must have been hung on a branch and never removed. That was one chain for the garbage. :censored:

Found a horseshoe completely enveloped into the tree. Must have been hung on a branch and never removed. That was one chain for the garbage. :censored:

Isn't it strange that no matter how long the branch, you always cut it where the biggest piece of metal is?

I know a climber who found a bloated, dead human body with his spikes while climbing in a big water oak during katrina in LA. it was wedged in a low crotch, and covered with moss and debris. blew up on him, and he puked nonstop for an hour.

he got on a plane and went home that day. and left his spikes.

Found a oldT-model hub-cap in perfect condition besides the fact that we bent it in L-shape with falling wedges in a big oak.:deadhorse:

I know a climber who found a bloated, dead human body with his spikes while climbing in a big water oak during katrina in LA. it was wedged in a low crotch, and covered with moss and debris. blew up on him, and he puked nonstop for an hour.

he got on a plane and went home that day. and left his spikes.

I am eating supper as I read this. A weaker man would have puked... :D

Half a six pack of old style - from back when they used pull tabs. That was one of my favs. That same tree was at what must have been a rental house for years. It was a silver maple with a big rot hole 15 feet up or so. You name it and it was in that hole. When we dropped the trunk it burst open and all sorts of stuff spewed all over the place. Saw a frog 60feet up a white oak once. that was kinda weird. Besides that too much to list.

Found an old garden hydrant on 3/4 in galvanized that did not have a shutoff. It was totally engulfed by a box elder (I think, it was many moons ago) and made a real mess when the stumper hit it.

did a swamp maple next to a pool, in the fenced-in pool area. apparently there was a very large snapping turtle living in the hollow space at the base of the tree. Scared the :censored: out of me. The lady said "oh yeah, I know, he lives in there. He swims in the pool occasionally."

The turtle had to be 2 feet long from head to tail, and over a foot wide on the shell.

Funny, she negleted to mention the damned thing when I did the estimate...

I had an acquaintance years ago, sorta lost touch with the "old timer".

He removed a huge willow that was at the bottom of a drainage field. He came back a while later to do the stump with a few others in the area and the area was flooded. Seems that there was a small artesian well that the willow had grown around and transpiration exceeded GPM of the well.

wierd stuff

Hi, I was cutting up a dead hickory I had felled for firewood. I hit a cut nail. big deal you say everybody and his dog has hit a nail. Yeah, well I hit it end on and cut all 3 inches of it end to end. There was alot of filing to resurrect that chain! It was years ago and every time I think of it I still get peevish.
eljefe

Back