TreeMotion Saddles In Stock

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did I hear old school crap!!! well maybe, but I`ll tell ya what I personally climb with old school crap, an asplundh saddle, 3 strand rope & a gibbs ascender. This is my arsenal, all I need, I know guys that have fancy saddles, split tails, micro pulley`s, this that & the other!!

guess what? I climb just as fast & can do what they do & just as good, its not the most comfortable set up but its light weight & im not usually airborne that long anyhow. Rahtreelimbs your climbing buddy actually talked me into some modern things(gibbs) but he`ll tell ya I was as good with the old as anyone with the new!! I just got picked on more for it!!!LOL

LXT..................

Ah go bak tu yur cave yu old skool bum, caint yu see that these hear guys ur suphistercated edercated surtifide expurts? Why thase got enuff gagits an googahs that thay kin jus flote rite onup in thu are like burds n such.

Yus sur that thar old skool stuff'll jus git yu keeled yu ole fogey!

Sorry LXT, but I just couldn't resist!

All in good fun mate!

jomoco

Jomoco, thats ok!! I get busted on all the time for being outdated!! I just do my best!! good post though LOL.

LXT..........

Beowulf said:
Got to say, i'm with jomoco on this one, i like the big D's. Not really a safety reason for me though, i simply hang too much crap on my D's and need all the room i can get.

Here's one way to combat having too much stuff on your saddle; create more room on the ring. This is a system I've been running with for better than 6 months. The setup was created more or less by accident, but it works marvelously.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Here's one way to combat having too much stuff on your saddle; create more room on the ring. This is a system I've been running with for better than 6 months. The setup was created more or less by accident, but it works marvelously.

attachment.php

You must have cropped a character off the link, the code is there, I did a cut & paste and it came up invalid.

I try to climb lean, since I'm not getting any younger.

I have bags with carabiners carrying different slings and stuff that I can clip to the back loops of my saddle. Usually I have them lined up on the side so I can have a groundie send them up on the rigging line.

IMO when a person climbs oldschool one just did not give themself the opportunity to break through the learning curve.

jomoco,

I see that you have gone from an impassioned plea for an immediate product recall due to a safety concern to personal preference issues to baby talk.

Brilliant, and not something I will forget.

RedlineIt

jomoco,

I see that you have gone from an impassioned plea for an immediate product recall due to a safety concern to personal preference issues to baby talk.

Brilliant, and not something I will forget.

RedlineIt

That's funny Redline, considering my position on these and every other small dee ringed saddle hasn't changed one iota.

They might be appropriate for rock climbing on some fake wall or something, but not for serious commercial tree service at all.

Furthermore any beginning climber who gets talked into using these silly saddles has my sympathies and best wishes for a long life.

I know you guys hate it when an old grizzled veteran climber has the audacity to point out the shortcomings and dangers involved with using this new fangled junk, but hey it's still a free country where I still have the right to express my opinions on great websites like this.

Get over it already.

jomoco

it's still a free country where I still have the right to express my opinions on great websites like this.
And for this, you get my full respect.

A lot of people don't get that an 'opinion' and a 'fact' are two very entirely different things.

Jomoco says 'small rings are bs', and it comes from his point of view. Jomoco lets us know 'Hey, my friggin opinion, like it or not.'

That's about as authentic as it gets. And does everybody get the Reason???

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
sooooooo

I was at a climbing competition this weekend and worked as a tech in the tree at the work climb, also did gear inspection. There were contestants with thousands of $$ worth of gear and there were contestants with very basic rigs. For the most part there was no noticeable difference in the ability and speed of the two different types of climbers, with the exception of the highest level climbers.

The newer technologies make climbing easier and safer. If you haven't made an effort to educate yourself on the latest innovations in climbing you are only clowning yourself.

I meet a lot of people in this industry. There are more and more College Educated climbers in the field than ever before. The newer gear will make it possible for climbers to have much longer safer careers.

If we didn't continue to look for better ways of doing things we'd all still be climbing on bowlin-on-a-bite! Remember what those old timers looked like at 60? with that distinctive tree guy limp?

Anyways, do what you like, just don't knock it before you try it.:cheers:

I know you guys hate it when an old grizzled veteran climber has the audacity to point out the shortcomings.

otg; said:
If we didn't continue to look for better ways of doing things we'd all still be climbing on bowlin-on-a-bite!

I started around 20 years ago on a lineman's saddle and buckstrap.

I am now on my second Master II with small rings, the first one lasted +7 years. I traded it out because the cinch straps were no longer holding tight, and I wanted built in suspenders to keep it on my (narrow) hips when big saws were on the belt.

IMO when a person climbs oldschool one just did not give themself the opportunity to break through the learning curve.

If I would of broke through the learning curve Id have chosen a trade/career that treated the body better & one where I wouldnt have had to do side work because the 40hr a wk job didnt cut it!!

maybe thats why Im self employed!!

LXT..........

The really smart guys trade in the saddles for Alpines Lifts. On a serious note OTG makes some decent points

If I would of broke through the learning curve Id have chosen a trade/career that treated the body better & one where I wouldnt have had to do side work because the 40hr a wk job didnt cut it!!

maybe thats why Im self employed!!

LXT..........

LXT and I both know the guy I work for part time doing treework. This guy is one of the best in the area in all facets of treework. I, on the other hand, am just trying. I am no natural to this work that is why I set myself up with slightly more advanced climbing gear..............just to maybe make things easier.

There is no reason to knock old school techniques............if they work for the person then let it be!!!

Latest posts

Back