Trees for a screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joro1911

Reaction score
:confused:
I have about a 50 foot property line where I would like to plant several (a row of ?) trees. This area is away from my house any other structures. I live in the Cincinnati, Ohio area (zone 6). The area is full sun, the soil is clay and somewhat moist. I would like something that grows fast as I will soon be close to a large commerical pool, that I am trying to screen out. I first considered Willows and Populars because they grow very fast. But the more I read, these are not the best choice because they are "weak and messy" and may not look that great. I am now thinking that several Red Maples might be a better choice. I would appreicate any suggestions on a fast growing tree that looks great, doesn't get too big ( 40H by 20W is about right).

Thanks
Joro1911

I would suggest bald cypress. Reason- they will screen the view all the way down to the ground, they work well in moist clayey soils and are a nice tree.

Whatever you plant, make a staggered row or 3 of different kinds of trees, maybe 4 or 5 different kinds. This way if a disease or pest attacks a certain species it won't effect the others because they are usually species specific.
Like this . . . . .
. . . . . .
. . . . .
This is a best case scenario if you have the room, if you're going to be there long term it's worth the money and it looks really good with different size trees together. Just make sure you plant them far enough apart, you could plant some closer together for a tighter screen and plan on removing some of them a few years down the road. You're going to need some evergreens in there if you want a solid screen.

Latest posts

Back