Treeslaying Illinois style

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to get a pic of the firetruck making a crane pick.

Did they have some storm damage you went to assist with out there? Nice pics

I used to fly into the Schulmburg Airport quite a bit back in the late 90's. About 1/2 way between Meigs and DuPage Airports.
Rick.

don't ya hate climbing all over a big arsed tree, take it down with ropes, then finish the stumpcut and find this.:censored::censored:
was a BIG dead oak, all over everything in the backyard, and I had` to climb out of the lift.

I was not taking big pieces due to how dead and dry this thing was. still..........................:chainsaw:

attachment.php

Last edited:
If it didn't die, those 2 big woundwood rolls woulda started fighting against each other and likely a serious crack woulda put her on the deck.

Not too bad but you coulda flushed with an 020. I've climbed a lot worse as I am sure you have.

yes I can make a determination, and I personally don't need more training.:confused:
The one pic does not reflect our concern, however, advising the homeowner living under it, (elderly) that it is not a threat presents a dilemma, ethically and morally.

I've been doing this for a LONG time, and that tree does not belong where it sits. But of course a catastrophic failure would most likely result from an extreme wind/rain condition, and this tree could go for many years.

so the conundrum is, when asked for a professional opinion, how many of us give the honest assessment? while starving half to death?:dizzy:

I would like to hear more about the effectiveness of core sampling though.

I just say " what goes up has to come down baby. You got 2 grand or not? "

We took the ladder truck to a birthday party at the lake yesterday, and wowed the crowd with a rappelling demo.

when that ladder went up 100' people driving by stopped, came from all over the neighborhood, and boats were stopping to watch. was really cool showing off, let me tell ya.:laugh:

attachment.php

this is from 100' with me hanging upside down, then I pulled the hitch with my feet, came down headfirst with my arms outstretched, and that really gets attention and applause.:jester:

Before I die I will try that.

Right before, LOL
!

:cheers:

Hey TreeSlayer what is the capacity of that ladder truck full extended? I bet two rope climbers at once could climb off of the end of it. I don't think I'd rig off of it but then.......I don't know it's capacity!

[/QUOTE]

100 foot on extended ladder....It doesn't seem like a good idea to rig off. Prob. enough capacity to carry a few people off a roof?

Do you clevis a rung to tie in or what? Not much dif from climbing off a crane and that is BIG fun.

the top of the ladder is rated for 1000 lbs, however that is a "carrying" weight. Static, I guess is appropriate. It is a VERY stout piece of steel, we are putting a man bucket on it, but we do not shock load it at all.

we used a big prussik and a steel biner on the top 2 rungs. And we just bought a nice, steel CMI pulley, which will work well.

Last edited:
the top of the ladder is rated for 1000 lbs, however that is a "carrying" weight. Static, I guess is appropriate. It is a VERY stout piece of steel, we are putting a man bucket on it, but we do not shock load it at all.

That 1k lbs prob. drops significantly when the boom is canted as in a crane. How are the ladder sections extended, are there hydraulic sections to each one? How many ladder sections at 100'. This is real interesting. I used to think about buying an old fire pumper for spraying but spraying became a bad risk.

we used a big prussik and a steel biner on the top 2 rungs. And we just bought a nice, steel CMI pulley, which will work well.

I think I'd rather climb right off the biner than the pulley to get a little friction.

; treevet1675748 said:
That 1k lbs prob. drops significantly when the boom is canted as in a crane. How are the ladder sections extended, are there hydraulic sections to each one? How many ladder sections at 100'. This is real interesting. I used to think about buying an old fire pumper for spraying but spraying became a bad risk.

There's 4 sections, and that rating is at 75 degrees of elevation, the damn thing can do 90 degrees!!

I think I'd rather climb right off the biner than the pulley to get a little friction.

For actually working, the biner, true.

What I'm looking for though is speed when I do the foot pull upside down. :jawdrop:
Of course a figure 8 will really fly, but I need the double rope set up, I'm crazy, but not stupid. :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
What I'm looking for though is speed when I do the foot pull upside down. :jawdrop:
Flying Wallenda's were thru our town last week. Shoulda got you an app. lol.

I got one for ya Treeslayer.....put a long copper pole straight up outa yer helmet, tie your legs together tight and put a tight costume on with your arms strapped to your body. Then put 3 rows of feathers up your legs.....presto...

Treeslayer the fkin human dart.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sounds like you got it down , Slayer, Gotta admit, good pics, I know you don't like me, but you are very entertaining, which answers the question that JPS asked why I even come here. All you guys are cool, just don't get mad about stuff. Use what you got and brag.
Jeff

Sounds like you got it down , Slayer, Gotta admit, good pics, I know you don't like me, but you are very entertaining, which answers the question that JPS asked why I even come here. All you guys are cool, just don't get mad about stuff. Use what you got and brag.
Jeff

Jeff, I don't know ya, so all I can say is sometimes I don't like what you post.

And I can be an ass at times, and i realize that. but I'm here to connect with other radical minds, and do enjoy some of the drama.

you obviously have a good job, heck, you offered me one a couple years ago. certainly you know what you're doing.

:cheers:

Latest posts

Back