Trencher converted to mini skidder?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Hopefully soon I'll have new pictures with more progress. I'm really indecisive on adding an arch. I won't deny it might help but I guarantee it could be just as bad at times. Also this winch is pathetically slow. I need a much huge-er pump just for it. It's worm gear drive and slower than a dead slug. No doubt very strong but good god it is a time waster. Not even sure what to do about it right now. Guess I'll just deal with it for a while until I decide to put a bigger pump on just for it maybe. Idk. Maybe I won't need to use it long stretches at a time since this machine is small enough to get closer to trees.
I guess time will tell. I'm gonna try to find a sweet deal on some cylinders to make a grapple for the blade. I think it'll need the extra ballast up front. I'll be busy for the next week getting my property cleaned up for our big annual bonfire pitch in party so prepare to wait for progress. It will be happening fast after that though because I need this thing in the field like ASAP. I'm hiring a guy to work for me part time splitting for me. I wish I could quit my full time day job.
Looks awesome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks! Hopefully soon I'll have new pictures with more progress. I'm really indecisive on adding an arch. I won't deny it might help but I guarantee it could be just as bad at times. Also this winch is pathetically slow. I need a much huge-er pump just for it. It's worm gear drive and slower than a dead slug. No doubt very strong but good god it is a time waster. Not even sure what to do about it right now. Guess I'll just deal with it for a while until I decide to put a bigger pump on just for it maybe. Idk. Maybe I won't need to use it long stretches at a time since this machine is small enough to get closer to trees.
I guess time will tell. I'm gonna try to find a sweet deal on some cylinders to make a grapple for the blade. I think it'll need the extra ballast up front. I'll be busy for the next week getting my property cleaned up for our big annual bonfire pitch in party so prepare to wait for progress. It will be happening fast after that though because I need this thing in the field like ASAP. I'm hiring a guy to work for me part time splitting for me. I wish I could quit my full time day job.

You could possibly build a removable arch that slides into stake pockets or pins on. That way you would be able to try one and can take it off when not needed. A pin on one would be nice as you could build it so you could back up to the bottom legs, pin it into place and tip it up into position and pin the top in and us a snatch block to attach the winch. Heck if you put an eye on the cab you could probably use the winch to tip it into place making it easier to put on and off in the woods if you wanted too.

You could possibly build a removable arch that slides into stake pockets or pins on. That way you would be able to try one and can take it off when not needed. A pin on one would be nice as you could build it so you could back up to the bottom legs, pin it into place and tip it up into position and pin the top in and us a snatch block to attach the winch. Heck if you put an eye on the cab you could probably use the winch to tip it into place making it easier to put on and off in the woods if you wanted too.
That's pretty similar to what I envisioned actually! One slight beef that I have with it being removable is that it'll mean I am gonna spend a bit of change making more fairlead rollers for the arch while leaving the original ones where they are for using without the arch. I know everyone says an arch will make a huge difference, I know it'll add a lot of traction but with that traction comes leverage and I feel like they don't understand how short this machine really is and how hilly everything is here.
Logging winch attachments on tractors work great I'm told and they don't have an arch. They're almost just like what I've got, and this machine is pretty similar in size and wheelbase and weight as a compact tractor. So to me it should work great just as it is.

Great minds think alike. Haha. It looks like you might have enough room on top to add another roller to the top of the fairlead. Those are pretty short machines and in hilly areas you might end up needing a lot more weight to keep the front end down possibly adding chloride to the front tires. If you run into an problem with the logs digging into the ground you could always make an arch on a trailer too, that way you could make a new fairlead on the trailer and would not have to mess with the one you built. But with a trailer you are losing some of the ability to get into tight spots.

Great minds think alike. Haha. It looks like you might have enough room on top to add another roller to the top of the fairlead. Those are pretty short machines and in hilly areas you might end up needing a lot more weight to keep the front end down possibly adding chloride to the front tires. If you run into an problem with the logs digging into the ground you could always make an arch on a trailer too, that way you could make a new fairlead on the trailer and would not have to mess with the one you built. But with a trailer you are losing some of the ability to get into tight spots.

I can't see a need for a top roller? Planning to add grapples to the blade to grab another log, as well as fill all 4 tires with fluid. I shouldn't have any trouble getting the logs up enough to not dig in.
I did add a drop down bar on back of the blade that will dig in to help add holding power when winching. I'll get a of of that this weekend to show what I mean.

Depending on the land you are working I would not bother with fluid. Some chains would be worth their weight in gold.

Depending on the land you are working I would not bother with fluid. Some chains would be worth their weight in gold.
I've been kinda looking at chains just haven't found ones I like at the right price. Why would you not bother with fluid? More weight down low like that will improve center of gravity and stability as well as traction. It's a win win. What am I missing?

If you are looking to work on soft ground the fluid will not help where weights can be added and removed as needed. If you are on step or solid ground, fill er up. Chains are great, look around for some used chains that can be cut and fit.

If you are looking to work on soft ground the fluid will not help where weights can be added and removed as needed. If you are on step or solid ground, fill er up. Chains are great, look around for some used chains that can be cut and fit.
The tires on this are plenty wide enough on somewhat soft ground it'll be fine. Believe it or not, two owners ago this thing was being used as a mud toy! Lol some guys I know that were friends with them said this thing was going through crap a Chevy on 35's couldn't. Entirely different story with a load of logs in tow, but most ground is steep and fairly solid so I'm fine with adding weight.

Oh really? Never seen it for sale that way but I'm interested! Any idea where to order that?

Check with local auto shops to start with. I know some of the small oil change shops around me get it in 55 gallon barrels. Also some of the tire shops around here will fill the tires with fluid.

Check with local auto shops to start with. I know some of the small oil change shops around me get it in 55 gallon barrels. Also some of the tire shops around here will fill the tires with fluid.
Good ideas thanks! I bought 4 cases of gallon jugs from home depot last winter for my garden tractor tires, they discounted them because they had bird crap on them from sitting on top shelf for a while. I have a pump that works good to fill them so I wouldn't pay a tire shop to do it. They usually get good money out of that. But I appreciate the oil change pit suggestions! Had a little time to get some more screen on it until I ran out of wire in my welder. One side is done and I'm happy with it. The part above the hood flips up on hinges made from small shackles, so you can get to the engine area easier.
d9c8bb3279c7384ae30c54a144d207d6.jpg
969cd334ab42303538873e1e35df5d90.jpg

Got a lot of progress made on it last couple days!
Exhaust repairs, valve cover resealed, new gauges, new alternator, entire machine rewired from scratch, roof, right side caged, lights, operator fan, key ignition, front tires filled with fluid (only had enough to do those two right now) they are stupid heavy. Got about 20 gallons of used antifreeze in each at 9#/gal approx. Replaced a hydraulic hose that rubbed a drive chain and got a pin hole in it. Removed brakes, thoroughly cleaned and will go back on tomorrow, get adjusted and hopefully work. This thing is pretty much done! I'll get pics tomorrow after it is back out of the shop and finished. Roof is 10 gauge diamond plate. I feel really secure sitting inside it. Feels like you're in some sort of combat vehicle lol coming together really nicely can't wait to use it. Won't be long I'll be posting pics and video of it pulling logs.

looks like it came right out of Mad Max. looking forward to video
Ha wait until tomorrow's pictures lol I think it's looking sweet! I've seen quite a few trencher/skidder conversions online and gotten good ideas from almost all of them but I am pretty sure mine could be a winner in the operator safety category. Most of the rest of them have little if any protection. But I've got just enough fab skills to pull off about anything I think up and I've researched the topic to death, and had plenty of time to figure out how I want it. Although I don't draw diagrams or plans or blueprints. Almost everything I work with as I go, building off the concept in my head and adjusting as needed as I go. I wanted a nice thick Lexan windshield until I priced it lol

Latest posts

Back