"trick" cuts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrillPhil

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm interested in learning some different types of cuts not frequently used and can't seem to find anything on here or elsewhere.

Not pointless things like an angled back cut but just something that may make #### easier. from time to time. Stuff like Coos Bay (which I've read up on and am not asking about) drop, break, jump cuts and things like that. More so things I would use while doing a removal.

First off, they are not "trick" cuts-they are specialized cuts used for certain situations. If you are not experienced enough to recognize these situations, you shouldn't be using them.

Secondly, search a little harder-found this within a couple minutes. And i know there is more.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=68815&highlight=jump

And thirdly, i personally am not going to expound on any of these cuts, because i don't think it is something that can be taught well over the internet. Especially after this quote:
I read it but for me it's hard to remember and learn without doing it.

First there were quotations for a reason because I was not certain the word to use to convey what I meant. Maybe I should have made a really long topic title called "specialized cuts used in specific situations for the special suspender wearing tree man taking Sunday off while sipping suds"? I think the title of "trick" cut, I was trying to convey, came across well enough for you to speak down to me about how I phrased my thought/question.

I understand a snap cut and understand one vs. a hinge. If those are the only two possible cuts then I guess I shouldn't have asked the question.

Also the quote you make is in context with me reading TCC, which I've now read atleast 3 times front to back. Funny thing about repetition...

Maybe I should have asked for some advice on a better book to read. Ayways, I have now ordered the fundamentals of general tree work.

The reason I was asking about using different cuts is because I would like to avoid making bad/unsafe habits.

The angled back cut has it's place, so don't close your mind to it. If you cut enough you will find it. Everyday cutting and falling, no, but that rare circumstance where the crotch is tight and the wood is small, that's what she said.

Last edited:
First there were quotations for a reason because I was not certain the word to use to convey what I meant. Maybe I should have made a really long topic title called "specialized cuts used in specific situations for the special suspender wearing tree man taking Sunday off while sipping suds"? I think the title of "trick" cut, I was trying to convey, came across well enough for you to speak down to me about how I phrased my thought/question.

I understand a snap cut and understand one vs. a hinge. If those are the only two possible cuts then I guess I shouldn't have asked the question.

Also the quote you make is in context with me reading TCC, which I've now read atleast 3 times front to back. Funny thing about repetition...

Maybe I should have asked for some advice on a better book to read. Ayways, I have now ordered the fundamentals of general tree work.

The reason I was asking about using different cuts is because I would like to avoid making bad/unsafe habits.

Hey, glad you like the suspenders-wasn't sure if they made my butt look big.:D

The title trick cut makes me think of the guys who pop bottle caps with a saw and i don't want you thinking these cuts are in the same category.

You want advice-get your nose out of the books. Find someone who's been doing tree work for 20 years. Heck, find a row guy, they know the jump better than most. Ask them to show you how it's done. Not saying to take all their advice, but it's a good way to learn. Even good bucket guys will know these cuts. See it in action. Realize they are not miracle cuts. Learn the situations they are handy for.
Reading about them won't get you anything near this type of learning. I've seen too many guys read about a jump cut, think it will get them out of all types of trouble, but ends up just making things worse. Knowing the cut is a minor part of the cut, knowing when to make the cut and the myriad of things that can effect the cut takes more knowledge, knowledge that can't be found on books or the internet. But i forgot, most young climbers can't swallow their pride. Too bad. Good luck with the reading.

Get yourself hooked up with someone who will show you some basic cuts , than at least you will have a foundation to build from , there is no substitute for hands on learning and time ... It cannot be taught here, it can be shown thats all, good luck and work safe ..

I work with an old man everyday, but the fact is, he's a drunk. Not enjoys a six pack but like life unmanageable because of six packs, etc. Sometimes I see him do really "amazing" ####, sometimes I see him do some #### that looks like he's about to die or bust some #### up.. Hasn't died yet, did take out a primary when he roped a huge piece of dead and it busted half off when it swung back into the tree as the guy on the ropes let it run. Both of us work through a fairly large tree service in town. Have seen many climbers. The one's I really enjoyed learning from originally have went off with a different company due to disagreements with the owner.

So I have been shown a few cuts and a few things to do. This isn't a part time thing to me. I put in 50 hours a week in tree work. I realize I have to pay my dues and build up my knowledge before I can do my own thing and that's what I'm doing. Not that I don't get side jobs when I can...

And I definitely don't think any of the cuts are going to be magic. Also TCC is like a pamphlet, a very quick read

Last edited:
I work with an old man everyday, but the fact is, he's a drunk. Not enjoys a six pack but like life unmanageable because of six packs, etc. Sometimes I see him do really "amazing" ####, sometimes I see him do some #### that looks like he's about to die or bust some #### up.. Hasn't died yet, did take out a primary when he roped a huge piece of dead and it busted half off when it swung back into the tree as the guy on the ropes let it run. Both of us work through a fairly large tree service in town. Have seen many climbers. The one's I really enjoyed learning from originally have went off with a different company due to disagreements with the owner.

So I have been shown a few cuts and a few things to do. This isn't a part time thing to me. I put in 50 hours a week in tree work. I realize I have to pay my dues and build up my knowledge before I can do my own thing and that's what I'm doing. Not that I don't get side jobs when I can...

And I definitely don't think any of the cuts are going to be magic. Also TCC is like a pamphlet, a very quick read

Hang in there Phil! lol.

Like others said: the only way to really get there is to just spend countless hours hacking trees down - whether it be bucket or climbing.

I really think you should make sure you have put the necessary time in, before you worry about your own thing though. A lot of people set out on their own thinking that they're ready, when in fact they're not.. all that does is add yet another half azzed tree service to the mix.

Good luck man! I get the feeling you might do well..

First off...find a new teacher, if someone with limited knowledge such as yourself recognizes his short comings....whats that say?

"trick cuts".....I am led to believe you are fairly new in this field as only a newbee would titled a thread as such, trick cuts are for lumberjack shows & other competitor based outdoor sports! in day to day tree care you will only need a hand full of cuts!..........& as previously said...get out there & do it!!!

LXT................

First off...find a new teacher, if someone with limited knowledge such as yourself recognizes his short comings....whats that say?

"trick cuts".....I am led to believe you are fairly new in this field as only a newbee would titled a thread as such, trick cuts are for lumberjack shows & other competitor based outdoor sports! in day to day tree care you will only need a hand full of cuts!..........& as previously said...get out there & do it!!!

LXT................

:agree2:
Jeff

Back