Trick to getting flywheel off 029 Super???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly stuck from sitting and moisture creep between the flywheel and crank but have never failed to remove one with a couple of sharp taps. I can show you what a couple hard taps does to a crankshaft.

Yeah - that's the other reason I gave it a good tap, but not a hard tap. I'm thinking your explanation about a partial seizure is pretty good - and now wish I'd coated the assembly with some nuclear-grade antiseize before putting it all back together (not that I intend pulling it apart again soon - unless of course they come out with an aftermarket 039/390 p&c kit!).

See, that's the bit I don't get - how the heck do you manage to hold / grip the flywheel while holding the weight of the saw and tapping on the centre of the flywheel. When I tried this, I couldn't get enough purchase on the flywheel.

Do you manage this with an assistant? Some sort of vice arrangement? Finger-strength-of-Thor?

Perhaps when I did this it was just a tight flywheel, but I ended up taking it to the shop for them to do it - not sure how they managed it (saw is an 029, BTW).

They used a bigger tapper...

danged ole flywheels

My project 026 has a threaded flywheel...just so happens that a 357 mag expander die with the lock nut removed works just swell :dizzy:

"Special exercising" will make you go blind, well that's what my old Pappy always said anyway. Do you wear glasses??

I need glasses badly, but they would be fogged up.....

I became very hairy at 13, had hair over 99.73 % of my body. Even had
hair on my palms, but I quickly rubbed that off..........

Latest posts

Back