Tricks for keeping a chain sharp in Cedar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firtol88

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Maybe a sharpening method...

From past experience chipper chain works out best, does someone have a trick for semi-chisel...

Just wondering as I need to drop and chunk three small ones 12"-14" dbh 30-40' and don't like stopping.

BTW if anyone in the Baton Rouge area might have any use for the wood, I'll limb them and leave them near the road for ya

If you are using semi-chisel and cut wood only not dirt, you shouldn't have to resharpen to cut up three trees. Cedar does have abrasive crystals in it. You know quick when milling it. Generally you will have to sever fewer fibres if you cut bigger chips, so within reason you could lower your rakers, but I would not do it for three trees. Sharpening once should only take a few minutes anyway if the chain is only wood dull.

Frank

Just remembering the last time I played with Cedar (quite awhile ago) it seems like I spent more time sharpening than I did cutting. Then again that was a couple big ones so I could be getting excited about nothing, don't remember if the chains were questionable to start with...

What are you talking about abrasive crystals :confused:

I cut Western Red Cedar on a regular basis never had to resharpen my chain falling and bucking cedar trees. The 4 large ones (30"-36" diameter 80' tall) I dropped for my neighbour the chain was thowing the same sized sawdust chips on the last tree compared to the first tree.

I never cut cypress (yellow cedar) as they grow only in certain areas.

They may be Eastern Red Cedar and believe me when I say they are much harder on chains than oak, pecan or pine.

Only problem being that the others were much larger and according to some sites these only reach 30' :confused:

just hot id mention. . if u ever have flea problems with u dog.. u ought put a bunch of these ceder chips un plastic bags. use it in your dogs bedding ,,and no need for flea colors an such.tics wont stay on dog with cedar shavings either.
when iraised dogs ,i had a resistant type of flea develope in my dogs that used sevin dust to make bricks for there houses and flea dip for coolaid.. since i was trying to run an first class kennel
it got to be a real problem..then i discovered they couldnt stand cedar shavins..

I can see those being tough from the pics on the webpage the Eastern Red cedar looks like it grows slow. I doubt there is any timber value from Eastern Red way to many knots and twists.

$350-$400/MBF in my area. Full of knots. Primarily used for paneling, furniture, porches, etc. Just keep touching up the chain and use lots of oil, it seems to suck it right out of the bar.

cedar stumps

I just did a cedar stump job on Friday and many I had to cut down to earth. I just touched up my chain the night before and I swear to god , in 8 stumps the ???? saw was wood-dull by the end. (may have hit the dirt once)

Back