Tricks for untieingreally tight knots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He'd pee his pants if he had to deal with anyone face to face. His type gain courage from being behind an internet connection. Any knot can overtighten with enough force applied. That's why this was invented hundreds of years ago:

6005662082_7eb99fa74e.jpg

Aerial, why'd ya bring my church key into this? What did it ever do to you?

And I am not gonna change my opinion because of your lengthy time as a tree man , if your still beating the rope to break a knot than your doing it wrong .... A good proper knot always can be broken by a hand , and mostly nothing more than a strong thumb...

I am not beating the knot, thats why I came on here looking for advice. This has happened twice in my entire career. First time I was trying to pull up a entire clump of redtips by the roots. Was using an old short rope and a pick-up. Guess you could say I overloaded the knot ,whatever, there were no targets and the job got done. The second time I applied tension to the loop AND the tag endof the rope. Had 2 ropepullers going at once. I wont do that again. 99.9% of my knots come apart with ease. But if you pull something long and hard enough for enough yrs. sometime, somewhere you'll have a knot tighten up on you.

It don't even have to be a knot to get stuck ...

I've had my gas powered capstan wench seize the three strand rope on it when one coil crossed another. That's not even a knot and it had to be cut off.

RR, I guess I was wrong in assuming that you were green then... I mean every seasoned treeman comes to an internet forum and asks how to untie his knots.. right? :dizzy:

No need to fight over it!

Sorry I made the mistake of coming on here and asking advice... apparently thats not what it's for... must be a place for snap judgements and ill-informed put-downs, If I wanted to hear that I'd still be with my ex-wife...actually you remind me of her. Dont want to fight about it? Don't make smart-aleck, non-productive posts. Thanks to all who offered real advice.

Sorry I made the mistake of coming on here and asking advice... apparently thats not what it's for... must be a place for snap judgements and ill-informed put-downs, If I wanted to hear that I'd still be with my ex-wife...actually you remind me of her. Dont want to fight about it? Don't make smart-aleck, non-productive posts. Thanks to all who offered real advice.

I look at it like this , whether it is sports or work related , there is some jabbing and JOKING in all , I am not immune to it , and often find myself at the brunt of a joke , so with that being said you are a experienced tree man Starting a thread on breaking tight knots , maybe if you step back and see that this would something like a mechanic saying that he still scrapes and knuckle and can't figure out why ..... I am not taking personal jabs at anyone just the stupid #### that may be said .... And I am a smart### flat out .... So I am sorry ...

Everyone trust this guy. He knows is stuff. This man climbs more trees per day than the total climbers in the state of Arkansaw.....2 many. And believe it or not he keeps his smart phone on this website the whole time as he's making those cuts, so he's got a bead on the tree guy dope first hand in the trees, and a he's a bead on your prayers of distress simultaneously. He doesn't even take breaks.

I can here Jeff now shutting down the big Stihler. He heard that phone notify him of another post in the forums. :Eye:

Jeff, send me a hard back copy of your tree workers guide. I'll pay full price. I've got that Clove hitch and half hitch working already. This stuff is priceless. I bet the Jeff Hitch is somewhere in that book.
Has he got a blue ox and eats mountains of pancakes too. Or is that blue waffles and a mountian of bull?

It's okay dude, settle down already!

Maybe try a double bowline next time (pretty sure that's what this is). I pull trees, butt logs etc. over with my tractor winch all the time using it, never had one lock up yet.

attachment.php

Looks like a doubled-up version of the standing bowline I use. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the informative post. It's all good.

Bullcrap101 I've been tying a proper bowline for more than 20 yrs. and I've had a couple stick under extreme conditions. I bet plenty other people on here have too.

Sounds like yer not using the proper bowline. Try a double bowline or a bowline on a bight.

It's okay dude, settle down already!

Maybe try a double bowline next time (pretty sure that's what this is). I pull trees, butt logs etc. over with my tractor winch all the time using it, never had one lock up yet.

attachment.php

Hook that to a big loader and yank all you want then pop that knot right out everytime. Really, if yer pullin hard enough to bind that knot up yer doing something stupit I would say.

Hey, a double bowline :msp_thumbup:

You know I'm the bubba type they say. I hang my pick'em up truck in a tree a lot with a rope and a Stein to work on it, and I get worn out always trying to untie all of the granny knots I put in my ropes. :laugh:

It's too late to talk about untying a knot, so let me just comment that there is a knot for every application, and there is a knot available for every load that can be untied.

The alpine butterfly is highly recommended for mid-line knots, but it will sure bind up tight. Double bowline...probably ok.

I usually pipe up at times like this with my favorite midline knot : Man-harness knot. It always unties, but it is not without it's imperfections, too.

If you are ruining ropes with knots that don't come out, then you need to spend a little more time each evening studying the books, and practicing the ones you don't know too well. Eventually, you won't be posting questions.

BTW: there is a special knot that is purpose built for towing trucks out of the mud, Jeff. I forget the name, but it is listed in ABOK, and I have used it very effectively. If you want, I can post a picture.

It's too late to talk about untying a knot, so let me just comment that there is a knot for every application, and there is a knot available for every load that can be untied.

The alpine butterfly is highly recommended for mid-line knots, but it will sure bind up tight. Double bowline...probably ok.

I usually pipe up at times like this with my favorite midline knot : Man-harness knot. It always unties, but it is not without it's imperfections, too.

If you are ruining ropes with knots that don't come out, then you need to spend a little more time each evening studying the books, and practicing the ones you don't know too well. Eventually, you won't be posting questions.

BTW: there is a special knot that is purpose built for towing trucks out of the mud, Jeff. I forget the name, but it is listed in ABOK, and I have used it very effectively. If you want, I can post a picture.

Go ahead and post it please, although I have never had a problem with a double bowline. I just repped you for your last post,
Jeff

Back