Trim to bid, or bid to trim?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Motivation, or lack thereof...anger or frustration...Never know what is behind one "qualified" individual as opposed to another. Have known a few failed lawyers and med students that went into teaching or psychology, and a few were good, but...

...pick someone who went into the field because they WANTED to and LIKE it...not a settler.

Many colleges are publish or perish...and rarely do you ever see the professor in the class; more often than not it is their master's/doctoral candidate teaching the class so that they can go do research and write their books.

Does the job pay enough to live and keep the bad habits? Seen a few hang by thier last threads, supporting habits they know are destructive, but are comfortable with.

I loved teaching and being a guiding force for students, but could not get past the bureaucracy (sp?) and the $2.10 an hour after everything is factored in...Loved pyschology and fathoming the depths of the mind/persona, but was not comfortable in a lab coat or listening to people whine for a fifty minute hour.

I liked Tonka trucks (not the cheapo passes of today, I mean the METAL Tonka Trucks it would take a car run-over to destroy--the ones you could ride in until you were 3 or 4yrs. old) and sneaking off with Dad's tools to make some slip-shod construction the gang called a fort or raft or something...

We all go into what we do, for whatever reasons we are stuck with, or choose to employ, or are brave enough to attempt. There are a few individuals, in my book, that are more "qualified" and informed than alot of the "certified" masses that I have been privileged to meet.

Until proven otherwise, give me the old hand, with the wisdom, an' shucks, sum book lernin' shore wont hurt nun, over the know-it-all right out of the dorm.

Conversation, communication, and just a little bit of time on the part of the professor, lab rat, and way on down to us flunkies hauling the end product...would do alot to further any discipline...

...no job more important than another...just more swollen heads at certain levels.

Latest posts

Back