Trimmer runs out of fuel after prime

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjnga

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have an old Stihl FS80avre. Been working on it off and on for a while. Got a NOS carb rebuilt it. Starts and runs good till the primed gas runs out.
Any thoughts? Would crank seals cause this or is it shot. Bought it new in the 80's not a lot of time on it before I put it away. Pulled it out for a project to do.

I'm not familiar with the FS80 and that specific carb, but I believe the primer is the old style (pushes fuel to the carb), versus the new style that pulls fuel through the carb. That changes the possibilities a bit, but it shouldn't really matter.

When you say it runs until the primed gas runs out, I interpret that to mean you press the primer bulb a few times, start it, it runs for 5-10 seconds and quits. Repeat and it does it again. Try this test - with it running, keep pressing the primer bulb. Does it keep running longer (until you stop pumping)?

I expect it will which narrows the problem down to the fuel pump portion of the carb not working. There are 2 typical modes of failure. The diaphragm in the carb could be stuck or stiff and is not able to move to pump fuel, or, the carb is not getting an impulse feed from the engine to cause the diaphragm to move.

I'd check the impulse feed first. There will be an impulse line or passage from the engine to the carb that provides the pulse needed. For carbs with an external line, many times they crack or fall off or just don't seal. Confirm that it is present and not cracked or blocked. Better still - replace with new. (If the feed is an internal passage between the engine and carb body, remove the carb and check it isn't blocked by feeling for air pulsing when pulling the engine over).

If the impulse is fine, then you need to open the carb back up and confirm the diaphragm is properly installed, free to move, and not stiff or cracked. And that the impulse passage within the carb is not blocked.

Beyond that, I'd be looking at the integrity of the fuel line and checking the fuel filter/pickup and screens / passages in the carb are not gummed up with stale gas or goo. With a pressure primer, a cracked fuel line will still deliver gas to the carb under pressure (when pumped) but not under vacuum (running) and a pressure primer could easily overcome a blocked screen that the carb pump can't.

Thanks for your reply. Haven't had time to get back to the trimmer. I think you may be right. The diaphragm was a little stiff. I changed the vent in the fuel cap , but the duck bill in the old one looked good. But it is over 40 years old. I have a new carb kit and will put it in soon as I get back to it. No rush it's just something to do. I like a challenge. I will check the impulse. I tried pumping the primer bulb while it was running and did not seem to make any difference. You are right about the primer it does pump to the carb and has a bleed thru on the diaphragm side that lets gas into and out of the carb so you can see that the carb is primed. Pretty strange setup. These old tk carbs are nowhere to be found only parts and pieces. I did see a Chinese one on ebay might give it a try if every thing else fails. Once again thanks for the reply.

For carbs with a built in impulse passage, I’ve seen people swap the wrong gasket between the carb and the engine and between the carb to air filter. There is an impulse hole on one and not the other. Again, depends on the carb.I’m not familiar with yours.

Ah yes the old TK slide carburetor. If the fuel filter is the 2 piece felt type, remove the screen in the center of the fuel filter and try it.
The cure for these was to adapt a newer style walbro square carburetor. Stihl even had a sheet out showing what parts were needed. Did quite a few when they were popular MANY years ago.
Great machine. Crappy carburetor.
Of course a good visual inspection and vacuum/pressure test are a must. Cylinder gasket replacement comes to mind. And 40+ year old seals.

Latest posts

Back