Trimmers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My trimmer lineup is as follows (from right to left, purchased in that order too , and going from most to least expensive as well):
- Dolmar MS-30 U - 30cc , 1kW , 11200 rpm max. - R.i.P. (totaled)
- MTD 790 AST - 31cc , I think it is rated at 0.75kW and ~7000 rpm - moody but operational
- Iskra XY-BC415 - 42,7cc , 1.5kW , 8000 rpm (it's a Chinese built supermarket trimmer) - runs great

DSC01667.JPG

The Dolmar MS-30 U ran extreme rpm's , but apparently it wasn't built sturdy enough to sustain them long term.
After 2-2.5 years of usage I had to replace a housing half due to air leaks on the plastic surface contacting the carb (the plastic bent and warped under the heat of the engine, direct plastic on metal design).
Soon after the needle cage of the connecting rod fell apart at WOT and pretty much totaled the engine.

DSC01686.JPG DSC01691.JPG

When I realized the costs of rebuilding the Dolmar MS-30 U (without knowing how long it would last) I opted to buy the MTD 790 AST at the cost of a new P&C kit for the Dolmar , or half the cost of a new Dolmar MS-30 U.
The MTD served me well , but it is simply underpowered for basic usage - or have I just been spoiled by the Dolmar?!
Eventually , about 1.5 years ago , the MTD started to behave moody so I bought the Iskra XY-BC415 as a new main trimmer and kept the MTD as a backup.

The Iskra XY-BC415 cost me half the price of the MTD 790 AST , or 1/4 what I payed for the Dolmar MS-30 U!
It has the most power/cc's of the lot , and came with a 3 year warranty out of the box (Dolmar 1 year, MTD 1 year + 1 year if serviced at a authorized dealer after 12 months).

DSC01674.JPG

Being disappointed with the low WOT rpm's of the Iskra , but knowing it has power to spare I decided to risk loosing one of my string heads and went ahead and "ported" it from 2 string to 4 string.
As the supplied MTD and Iskra string heads weren't sturdy enough to withstand modding I used one of my two Dolmar tap&go heads.

DSC01684.JPG DSC01682.JPG DSC01685.JPG

Winding up the line on the drum is a bit challenging , but when done successfully it sure smacks the poo out of any grass/weed.

DSC01679.JPG DSC01680.JPG

The Iskra XY-BC415 sure has enough power to run the 4 string head and it does it very well too - but I want "more".
That been said , the other day I tuned the carb so that the engine now turns 9k WOT rpm's (1k over specs, and yes it was tuned to slightly under 8k) , and it is still 4-strocking madly.
I am curious how it will behave under load tuned like this!

DSC01669.JPG

Best fuel economics had the Dolmar MS-30 U closely followed by the MTD 790 AST and the thirst award goes to the Iskra XY-BC415 hogging a full 1 liter tank in as little as 30 minutes and no more then 40 minutes - depending on work conditions.

When I run my trimmers they get WOT-ed without remorse , if I have to endure the summer heat so do they.

P.S.
The best handle ergonomics had the Dolmar MS-30 U

The Dolmar MS-30 U is a basket case as it is quite un-economic to rebuild it considering the damaged parts: piston , piston ring , connecting rod , cylinder , crankshaft bearing and possibly other parts.

DSC01663.JPG

All three trimmers came with awkward cheapo "around the neck" restraints , being annoyed with those I am really considering to buy a proper "strap-in" one!

I really love the "silent" Dolmar string , it cuts grass and soft weeds like a champ.
Unfortunately it occasionally likes to weld onto itself within the string head drum , and it breaks easily when it hits hard undergrowth.

DSC01677.JPG DSC01678.JPG

Thanks for reading! :cheers:

I have a KM 90, Echo SRM 225 x 2, and a husky 525 LS.

Husky 525 is new this year, so is the echo SRM 225 after my SRM 230 grew a pair of legs

All the pro level trimmers a pretty good. 525 has sweet AV and revs up real nice and has a fully adjustable carb, good power. The echo's go forever with hardly any maintenance, are nice and smooth. Their speedfeed heads (both the latest one and the one before that) work quite well and are very, very easy to load. Not a huge fan of the autocut head on the stihl units.

my KM 90 currently needs a carb cleaning as it's acting up quite a bit.

20150609_171633-L.jpg

I demoed one of those. Was nice, but I can't take the vibes from a flex shaft. My hands go numb in just a few minutes.

I'm still running my FS100RX. Been a tank, but has been giving me a few fits lately. First the carb, and then the clutch. Need to put some fuel lines in it I suppose, just haven't had time....

No pics ready at hand, but currently running the Echo SRM-260 trimmer and PE-280 edger. I rarely use either and in hindsight should have just bought a Kombi-type setup. If I go through a couple tanks per machine per year, I'd be surprised.

Previously had a FS-200 with bike bars, also. This is the pre-emissions FS-250, essentially. It ran a blade 99% of the time and was a great machine, but I decided to stop doing the cemetery and trail maintenance that I bought it for, and had no need for it on my little city lot.

wellll ,its old..but my 220 olympyk,,is still running like a top, 130 line will wack some healthy weeds...one carb kit, in all that time,,and I had to get a new recoil assm, and adapt it, last year.. the setup on there originally,,was a pile of trash...has recoil like chainsaw now...

Running a husky straight 223l at the moment. Muffler gutted and roll pin removed on carb. Not a lot of weed eating around the new house,but briars and smallish brush is another story.
Looking into a blade setup,but not finding much. The 223r can fit a blade as I'm guessing it has a solid shaft. Anyone know if I can replace my flex shaft with the 223r solid? I'm sure I can as they are the exact same engine from husky site.

Hate to have to buy another trimmer since this one is only about 5 years old and very low hours.

You use the propane burner on the grass too? :surprised3:

Yup! There are areas where I don't wish to use roundup. Don't want the stuff too close to where I'm growing food. The trimmers are good for giving plants a haircut, but there are some plants I wish to eliminate all together. That's where the burner comes in handy. Example - I use propane to burn weeds and vines away from my woodpiles - I don't want to be handling wood that has roundup on it - you can absorb the stuff through your skin. As much roundup spraying that I do, I try to limit my exposure to it as much as possible. There are some species of invasive and non-native destructive plants that can be killed only by uprooting them completely or spraying them with herbicide.

That sounds like what I need for killing of blackberries. Still need chemicals for poison ivy. I see a couple torches like that on Northerntool's website. Where did you get yours?

That sounds like what I need for killing of blackberries. Still need chemicals for poison ivy. I see a couple torches like that on Northerntool's website. Where did you get yours?

I got mine at Harbor Freight. Very likely, the ones at Northerntool are pretty much the same. These things are inexpensive and get the job done. I do my weed killing after a rain so I don't have to worry much about setting anything on fire - that's one big drawback they have.

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-61595.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-61589.html

Running a husky straight 223l at the moment. Muffler gutted and roll pin removed on carb. Not a lot of weed eating around the new house,but briars and smallish brush is another story.
Looking into a blade setup,but not finding much. The 223r can fit a blade as I'm guessing it has a solid shaft. Anyone know if I can replace my flex shaft with the 223r solid? I'm sure I can as they are the exact same engine from husky site.

Hate to have to buy another trimmer since this one is only about 5 years old and very low hours.

The 223L and 223R both have the same drive shaft part #537351701. The flex shaft is less than $11 so I'd just run it and if it broke you wouldn't be out of much money. The 323L has a solid drive shaft that costs roughly $30 (part #503864501). If you wanted a solid shaft in your trimmer you'd need to also replace the clutch drum (part #503872601)which is around $40.

Part diagrams for your trimmer:
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Manufacturer/husqvarna/3561/3477

Part diagrams for the 223R:
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Manufacturer/husqvarna/3562/3477

Diagram lookup for all Husky trimmers:
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Manufacturer/husqvarna/3477/-1

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back