Trivia question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heviarti

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been working for a tree service,and I wasexplaining to the fellow who runs it that it's generally a bad idea to have a labyrinth of down libs to stumble on while bucking.

He said that no timber crew has people cutting while other people move the brush off... I called BS...

Am I Right?

I am getting really sick of being sent into god's own stumbling hazard to cut.

Probably something like that.

What it is, is I often get sent into a pile of trash to either buck, limb, or cut the limbs to 6 or 8 feet to fit in the truck, Generally Im having to fight with everything I cut, becuase it just sits there, rather than being taken off within five or ten minutes of being cut. It's either in the way of my next cut(s), or stumling hazards all the way to the next cut(s)

I explained that it doesn't make sense wading through a foot of limbs on the ground, that it should be moved off within a reasonable amount of time. Wading through a foot of branches on the ground while cutting into branches over your head is a sure way to get dead.

This is when my employer claimed "no professional timber crew has people to remove that stuff when it's cut" I'm nearly sure that a timber crew includes a faller, a bucker, (who generally bumps knots) someone to pull off the brush, and someone on some kind of yarder. I just can't cut something up quickly if i'm having to put my saw down every time I make a cut.

out here in western washington fallers fall and buck the trees then the rigging crew comes in later sets up the yarder, carriage, and tree processor etc.depending on what the mill wants by size, grade etc & weather it is old growth or 2nd growth the chaser on the landing shortens, bumps knots etc and makes it the best log it can be. now on a heliocopter or skidder shows the process is different.in my experince the only time some body swamps limbs while another cuts is on forest fires cutting fireline or like setting up the yarder ...so your boss is right

I've never seen a timber crew dispose of limbs. He is both correct and full of doodoo. There is no relevancy to the comparison. Anybody who has practiced this trade a while and hasn't figured out that sometimes the sawing needs to wait for a little cleanup to take place must be dumber than a box of rocks.

If by timber crew he means the fallers who cut the timber, then he is mistaken. You fall, and buck working alone on your strip. Steepness of slope, slash etc is some of the many objective hazards of cutting. Even back before everyone started singlejacking you only had a faller and bucker. Crews working say doing something like fuels reduction would have maybe 1-2 swampers per cutter to move slash. :Eye:

Latest posts

Back