Trouble tuning ms461

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gu_42

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ive just put a new piston and cylinder on my 461, I'm trying to tune it but im having trouble.

Im trying to tune it under load because I have it has a rev limiter, but even with the H screw all the way out it wont 4-stroke?

I spoke to my local stihl dealer who said it may not 4 stroke due to the limiter? He said its hard to run these things lean as theres a fixed size main jet and the H screw is just fine adjustment.

Is this true?

The carburetor has a fixed jet in it .58mm.
It is possible that you are on the rich stop point of the limiter cap. Remove the cap and richen it some more and it should 4-stroke. Do you have a tachometer? See how the rpm`s are. I would go to the rich side and lean it slightly from there and see what happens.

I've pulled the limiter cap out, I'm still having trouble hearing 4-stroke, or its not 4-stroking i'm not sure.

If i wind it about 2 turns out it runs rough but doesn't sound like its 4-stroking, is it just that i'm not used to the sound this saw makes when its 4-stroking?

I've only ever tuned a smaller saw before, I can make out the 4 stroking easily in my other saw but it has no rev limiter so I dont have to tune it while under load.

I dont have a tacho, I'm wondering if I should buy one or just put a differant coil in to get rid of the rev limiter?

2 turns out is rich enough on a stock saw. The ignition module is electronically limited at 13.500rpm. They say to tune it with the tach to 13.000 rpm`s and then lean out the H screw 1/8 turn more clockwise without tachometer. The tachometer will not give a correct reading there because of the electronic speed limiter.

Ive just put a new piston and cylinder on my 461, I'm trying to tune it but im having trouble.

Im trying to tune it under load because I have it has a rev limiter, but even with the H screw all the way out it wont 4-stroke?

I spoke to my local stihl dealer who said it may not 4 stroke due to the limiter? He said its hard to run these things lean as theres a fixed size main jet and the H screw is just fine adjustment.

Is this true?
Post in the chainsaw thread for more replies

Latest posts

Back