Echo CS-400 Full Chisel Chain Available?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbywmu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a CS-400 with 18" bar and a new Oregon S62 Advance Cut chain. I recently did the muffler mod as well as put a new carb in (old carb was shot, new carb does not have the limiter caps). Tried to do some tuning with the H/L carb screws, seems to be right where it needs to be. Tried to tune to where I did not hear the 4 stroke bogging like it normally does through thick pieces of wood.

I have been searching online everywhere, but can't seem to find a FULL chisel chain for the CS-400. Is there one available? I know the S62 is recommended as the best chain for this saw, especially for dirtier wood. I'd like to have the full chisel for other things.

Ya, I have read that full chisel does dull faster, but I'd like a full chisel chain for some thicker stuff. Nice to have a few different chains to choose from, just can't seem to find if there is one even offered.

Full chisel is available in .050 gauge 3/8 low profile, which is what your saw was sold with, I think. I know Stihl makes it, it's called Picco Super, or PS. Stihl doesn't make a precut loop in 62 link size, so you would have to find a shop that will cut you a loop the right size.
The OEM maker of Echo chain for your saw is Oregon. You might check with an Oregon dealer.

I know I can get flamed for this but I have been running the PowerCare chain from the depot… full chisel with the yellow label, just teeth and depth gauges, with very good mileage and I cut a lot with it. It’s fairly cheap, easy to get, and cuts as good as any full chisel chain I’ve used. I might not would trust it on my bigger saws but my 400 loves it. I’m running a 16 inch bar though, not sure if they normally carry it in 18 inch loops.

Stihl chisel chain type you need is either
63PS 62E or 63PS3 62E
3 version has bumper safety drive link.

Stihl chisel chain type you need is either
63PS 62E or 63PS3 62E
3 version has bumper safety drive link.
Ugh....according to the Stihl site it's not available anymore. It really doesn't sound like they make a full chisel for the CS-400. I've literally researched everywhere. I surely don't want to put a chain on that's not recommended, and have a failure of some sort. Guess I'm better off staying with recommended chains and the semi chisel.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/saw-chains/piccosuper/

you have to go to an old school stihl dealer that knows how to make loops (i learned that when i was 10, but seems impossible for the new type of dealers for some reason?)
stihl usa site is not always correct, nor is the canada version we use up here

Stihl has pro chain for most sizes,gauges etc. but won't make them easy to find. Must have to do with liability issues. I'm liking Echo more and more lately. I have a CS2511t and a CS3510. The 3510 replaces an 017 that's in hospice care, and the 2511t was just too small and light not to buy even though I have an MS201TC-M. All my two strokes are fed 50:1 Red Armor 89octane 0% ethanol gas.

Ugh....according to the Stihl site it's not available anymore. It really doesn't sound like they make a full chisel for the CS-400. I've literally researched everywhere. I surely don't want to put a chain on that's not recommended, and have a failure of some sort. Guess I'm better off staying with recommended chains and the semi chisel.

You should be able to get 63PS and 63PS3 from Bailey's. They'll make chains to length.

63PS/PS3 is great chain but expensive. Baileys's also has Oregon chains and their house brand. The house brand stuff does not stay sharp as long as Stihl chain but does ok for the price.

The chain doesn't know what saw its mounted on. I am trying to understand how this confusion actaully began? You have a bar with a gauge. IE: .050. You have a pitch. Drive sprocket/bar nose. IE: 3/8".

So you want to buy full chisel chain loops in 3/8"-.050.....the # of drive links is all you are req'd to match.......this is chainsaw 101.....? or not?

I prefer full-chisel on all my saws. I think that chain type cuts faster. I have used semi before when it came on a (cheap) saw, but I never buy semi-chisel and don't actually see any benefit to it. I wonder if semi-chisel is more to help prevent kickback than anything else? Doesn't seem to grab as much.

I agree. If you know number of drive lengths, chain pitch, and chain guage then find a loop that matches, or have a shop make one.

I only cut firewood and downed trees on a small farm. Not a pro here.

The chain doesn't know what saw its mounted on. I am trying to understand how this confusion actaully began? You have a bar with a gauge. IE: .050. You have a pitch. Drive sprocket/bar nose. IE: 3/8".

So you want to buy full chisel chain loops in 3/8"-.050.....the # of drive links is all you are req'd to match.......this is chainsaw 101.....? or not?
The confusion began because I'm definitely no pro here, and as I mentioned in the very 1st post that I can't find a "recommended" FULL chisel chain for an Echo CS-400. Literally searched everywhere, every post I could find. SO, if that is the case, then yes I could match it up fairly easily it looks like. Was weary going with a chain that wasn't recommended because of safety reasons. That's all. If I can't find a full chisel chain it's not the end of the world here, the Oregon S62 cuts just fine, but for thicker stuff I'd like a backup.

This is the exact chain and bar that I just bought...............

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oregon-18-in-Chainsaw-Bar-and-Chain-Combination/1115175

18" bar on that saw would have 91PX62CQ chain according to parts list.

Turns up a 62-link 3/8" pitch chain is needed according to manual. 0.050 guage low profile.

https://www.baileysonline.com/chain...rofile+(Picco)&bai_drive_links=62+Drive+Links
https://www.baileysonline.com/stihl-63ps3-3-8-low-profile-picco-super-3-chainsaw-chain.html
I already have that chain (91PX62CQ), as well as the Oregon S62. Both are Semi-Chisel, I need FULL chisel. I can easily find what I need now that I know I can just match up 3/8, 0.050, and 62DL.

Hi All,

I have a CS-400 with 18" bar and a new Oregon S62 Advance Cut chain. I recently did the muffler mod as well as put a new carb in (old carb was shot, new carb does not have the limiter caps). Tried to do some tuning with the H/L carb screws, seems to be right where it needs to be. Tried to tune to where I did not hear the 4 stroke bogging like it normally does through thick pieces of wood.

I have been searching online everywhere, but can't seem to find a FULL chisel chain for the CS-400. Is there one available? I know the S62 is recommended as the best chain for this saw, especially for dirtier wood. I'd like to have the full chisel for other things.
yes i got mine from amazon it came from austrailla and its awesume let me get the brand for you and yes its on my cs400 with muffler mod and limiters removed and tuned by yours truely. archer is the brand.

Latest posts

Back