troubleshooting a woodsplitter problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igas20

Reaction score
I have a 30yr old wood splitter that has operated well every year with few minor repairs (hoses etc.) Recently it will not split any more wood. The ram pushes the log to the wedge but will not split it. It appeared that the 2 stage pump was the issue by not activating so I replaced it, but the problem remained. I have also replaced the valve with no effect. The oil appeared to be very dirty (had a metallic color to it) when I took it apart so I replaced it as well. Also the detent on the valve when the cylinder is retracted does not trip off at the end. I am at a loss as how to continue as I don't believe there is any issue with the cylinder. Could this be my problem? Please help! Thx

Did you replace the entire valve body? Sounds like you have wear problem allowing fluid to bypass, this will cause the oil to heat up pretty fast and reduce pressure due to the leakage. It could be the cylinder or the pressure relief valve not being able to seat due to wear. Look on the valve mfgr. site
for PRV and detent adjustments. Be extremely careful when adjusting the PRV, Hyd. injection injuries usally require amputation.

I agree with Beefie, sounds like it could be the cylinder. If you know what to listen for you can sometimes hear them by-passing, providing you can hear over the motor.

Or to test it, run the ram down to a stick of wood until it stalls, then cut off the motor. Release system pressure and disconect the retract hose from the cylinder and plug/cap the valve side of the hose. Start it back up and easily move the valve to extend and see if any fluid squirts out the retract port. If it does its the cylinder, if not well move on to something else.:cheers:

Took the cylinder apart & sure enough, the o-ring seal was blown. Thanks all for your help. Shows what happens when I try to diagnose problem w/o sufficient knowledge. Oh, well, what can I say? I'm a farmer.

Took the cylinder apart & sure enough, the o-ring seal was blown. Thanks all for your help. Shows what happens when I try to diagnose problem w/o sufficient knowledge. Oh, well, what can I say? I'm a farmer.

Depending on the cylinder you should be able to get it rebuilt pretty reasonable, Or if you can find the parts and you already got it apart fix it your self and save the money.:cheers:

If nothing else, you figured out where it failed so now its time to get it back into action. Some of the NAPA auto parts houses around here (Western Pa) make the hydraulic lines and have the fittings. Im sure they could rebuild the ram. I know its going to be expensive, but ditch all the old oil, clean out the tank and lines and start with fresh.

Back