Troy-Bilt 27-Ton 160cc Log Splitter from Lowes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used both and the troy built is a toy compared to the huskee brand splitters. Just look at both of them and you can tell right away. Troy built has thinner steel on it than the huskee and i dont like the way the wedge rides on the beam with a bolt on design. The huskee has its wedge ride inside of a groove in the i beam. The mtd splitter split wood fine .The huskee has a faster cycle time. i just compared both a month or so ago and the huskee is the way to go. Plus the 22 ton huskee is 999 and they are all over craigslist.

Last edited:
i bought a cub cadet (26 ton?) used and it left ALOT to be desired, in my opinion. It replaced the MTD yard machine (27 ton) that got stolen:chainsawguy: If I had the chose to buy another it would be a Huskee, mostly because of what ya'll already pointed out. Just a heavier, better built machine.

I hated the skimpy "stick" holders they bolted on this thing. So i built my own, and did some other modifications. IT holds up good now.

I had a 27 T Troy built and sold it, and went to a 35T Speeco. The Troy built strugled with the hard to split stuff. It would take 5-10 seconds extra to build up enough pressure to finally split large oak. If I split a lot of hard stuff the ram hose fitting would seep a bit. The honda engine worked great. It was a good medium duty splitter.

went out and looked at mine last night and it looked like a larger better weld was on the cylinder. now you got me thinking about making a sheild in case it does blow. sometimes i let my boy run the ram for me, i shudder to think what would happen if it blew up with him there.

went out and looked at mine last night and it looked like a larger better weld was on the cylinder. now you got me thinking about making a sheild in case it does blow. sometimes i let my boy run the ram for me, i shudder to think what would happen if it blew up with him there.

I trusted mine as well and at times I would let my son run the ram. Glad that day it happened he was in school and not there. On the other forum one of the failed cylinders is getting replaced by Troy Bilt so who knows what they are up to. It seems I was the first to push the fix and didn't get it but maybe as it happens troy bilt will do right for the future failures, just hope there are no injuries as these fail. A new cylinder design should fix their problem.

I bought one last week. I've split about 4 cords of pine with it, and it works great as far as I'm concerned, but I've always split my wood by hand up until now.

What are you doing with pine????fire starters? I didn't know people burned pine for firewood....learn something new every day

I'll bet that pine splits easy as pine

What are you doing with pine????fire starters? I didn't know people burned pine for firewood....learn something new every day

There's more pine burned in North American than any other wood. It's the most plentiful. Out west, hardwoods are a lot more rare than in your neck of the woods, or mine.

:monkey: Go sit in the corner!

:hmm3grin2orange:

I trusted mine as well and at times I would let my son run the ram. Glad that day it happened he was in school and not there. On the other forum one of the failed cylinders is getting replaced by Troy Bilt so who knows what they are up to. It seems I was the first to push the fix and didn't get it but maybe as it happens troy bilt will do right for the future failures, just hope there are no injuries as these fail. A new cylinder design should fix their problem.

to bad they are not helping you out, being an engineer i would be ashamed to have my name on something like that.

you could re-try contacting them. to often a company is judged on correspondance between just one individual, you might get a differant response if you get someone else. i know they all represent the company but they are not all the same.

i wish you luck, you got the short straw on this. i know if i had know this i would not have bought my troy-built.

One good thing about using this splitter for just pine is it may last you a long time, or at least longer than mine.

I've split mostly maple and ash, some oak and about a cord of sycamore. It was the sycamore that blew open my cylinder. I had about a 20" round that was about 16" long that took the splitter out of service. I wish it was a round of pine.

to bad they are not helping you out, being an engineer i would be ashamed to have my name on something like that.

you could re-try contacting them. to often a company is judged on correspondance between just one individual, you might get a differant response if you get someone else. i know they all represent the company but they are not all the same.

i wish you luck, you got the short straw on this. i know if i had know this i would not have bought my troy-built.

I have to judge them on my situation and cannot find a reason to say anything good about their product or their service.

Everyone who is pleased with their same splitter will defend them but would you defend them if you were in my shoes?

If by miracle they fixed my problem, I would simply add here they have a bad design with failing products but are willing to try to fix it right for the ones with failed products. They prefer to spread the word of their bad product and service then to make the customers happy one at a time.

They may lose thousands dollars on sales more than just offering to fix for hundreds or even less and keep their name clean and a good reputation for future services on issues like these.

Here in the Colorado mountains, we don't have much choice but to burn pine. Works great just burns fast.

Um, heating my house. Just like the majority of people in the western united states who heat with wood.

im in ohio and i burn pine all the time. nobody wants the wood and it burns nice in the boiler. especially this time of year when it might be 65 in the day and 35 at night. when the damper doesnt open for an hour or so the pine will fire right back up when it opens

I used to turn my nose up to pine,at least until this year.What the deal is, I dont know, but the majority of my tree removals this year has been pine, so early this summer I faced the fact that I would be burning pine to heat the house.And I wish I hadnt thrown out all that pine over the years!Wife likes it, lighter to haul from the rack outside the door,lights easier than oak and hickory,and since I got 20 cords of the stuff who cares if it burns faster?Heat is heat!

I have a Husky by Speeco and never had trouble with it, 22 ton bought it at TSC for $899.00 with a 10% off coupon. 5 years and counting.
TB's are pretty much poor quality sense MTD started building them.

I have a Husky by Speeco and never had trouble with it, 22 ton bought it at TSC for $899.00 with a 10% off coupon. 5 years and counting.
TB's are pretty much poor quality sense MTD started building them.

I call BS. How many years do you have to go back to get a "good" one?

Made another try to contact TB and nothing. It's almost 7 years old and no repair will be issued and it is resolved to their satisfactory.

I asked why there is more weld in that area and no straight answer. They just said they use different manufacturers to make the cylinder.

When did they change manufacturers for this extra weld to recently just start showing up?

By spreading this info on the net it will hurt their sales more than if they were just to fix the problems and go on. Now this information will show their bad product and their bad service that comes with it.

Made another try to contact TB and nothing. It's almost 7 years old and no repair will be issued and it is resolved to their satisfactory.

You want warranty work done on a 7 year old splitter?? I'm no fan of MTD/Troybuilt etc, but you're asking for more than your're entitled if I'm ready it correctly. And no the customer is not always right

You want warranty work done on a 7 year old splitter?? I'm no fan of MTD/Troybuilt etc, but you're asking for more than your're entitled if I'm ready it correctly. And no the customer is not always right

:agree2:
It's a $~1300 splitter. If something goes wrong with your brakes on a $40,000 truck seven years after you buy it Ford, GM, Dodge are more than likely not going to pay for new brakes. If it is a recall issue then they will,as will Troy Bilt. Out of the thousands of member on hearth and this site there has been I believe three, of these cylinders go bad. I'm not saying it should have happend and I'm glad that the ones that it did happen to the owners had no serious injury but come on, get another cylinder or get a new splitter if you don't want to use the TB "junk" as you call it.

Latest posts

Back