Troy Bilt 33 ton versus 27 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I changed gears and picked up a TimberWolf TW-1 today. It may be their smallest uni but all I can say is: AWESOME. This is the most impressive thing I've ever owned (up there with my 361). Really, really well designed and built unit.

Very nice, I don't think you can go wrong with a TW. Did you get 4 way wedge and table grate?

Also, we need pics! :greenchainsaw:

Sorry to chime in late but I split a lot of red elm, locust and oak some as big as 40 inches with my lowly MTD 20 ton splitter and have had zero problems. 20 ton's is enough for me. Oh and I forgot my splitter is 4 years old bought it at Menards for $899.00 so that left me with enough change in my pocket for a new saw.

Last edited:
I have a Huskee from TSC that works well for me. Of course I got the 35 ton- I think it has only been stopped once or twice and I just flipped the piece and kept going. 15 second cycle time and I like the way it is set up. Three years ago I got it on sale for under $1500 including tax. It was only $200 more than the 27 ton with a longer cycle time.

I still like using a maul though.

Last edited:
Simply put - MORE STEEL.

For example, take a look at the log guard (er whatever you call it) on each machine. On the MTD (Troy Bilt), it's stamped sheet metal. Heavy gauge sheet metal, but still, stamped sheet metal.

The Speeco unit is far heavier - looks to me like it's 5/16 plate.

Also, the log cradle on the MTD is just junk. The built in cradle on the Speeco is SOLID. You would have to work at it pretty hard to bend it.

As to the power needed, try a crotch from a hundred fifty year old oak that's been standing dead for a few years, and see if your 27 ton will go through it. It STOPPED my 34 ton Speeco.

Those who say they've never seen wood that would stop their splitter, just aren't splitting tough wood.

Dont recall any toe plates bending over on the TroyBilt models....
The great thing Speeco has going for it is their customer service, because you're going to need it.

Dont recall any toe plates bending over on the TroyBilt models....

There's one down at my local hardware store, for rent. It's going to be that way for a loooong, long time, too, because there ISN'T any customer service with MTD.

There's one down at my local hardware store, for rent. It's going to be that way for a loooong, long time, too, because there ISN'T any customer service with MTD.

Well if you are anything around town, like you are here, it wouldn't surprise me if you called everyone in the phonebook and warned them not to go near an MTD splitter.

I have a 27 troy built that I bought last year. Used it alot and i split hickory and oak with mine. No problems.

Got at that pile of Red Elm today:

003-11.jpg

Finished:

005-6.jpg

That stuff strings worse than anything I have ever worked (this is my first Elm). Splitter didn't even blink, shift down to start the cut and instantly back up. Only "grunting" it did was when it was shearing a knot.

How heavy is that stuff when it dries? It is also the heaviest stuff I have ever cut when it is green.

Harry K

Harry,

The red elm will end up weighing about the same as ash. It isn't as heavy as honeylocust, oak, mulberry or hedge when seasoned. All of the red elm I have was standing dead. It will stand dead for a long time with minimal deterioration. Red elm used to be a preferred firewood in this part of the country. Now that dutch elm goes through every so often there aren't near as many and they don't get near as big before they die.

Don

nice side tables turnkey4099

any problems going vertical with them? i may need to do the same on mine

nice side tables turnkey4099

any problems going vertical with them? i may need to do the same on mine

They were put on to avoid a major problem with the factory 'log cradle' See thread "design flaw - troybilt splitter" for a discussion. The will have to be replaced as they don't cure the problem.

They would have no effect on verticle use. Up thread is someone elses splitter using metal and a big off-side table. Nice and I might do it that way.

Harry K

The 35 ton Huskee (Speeco) at Tractor Supply is one hell of a machine,,, Remember this is not space shuttle technology,, a motorized ram, and allot of steel.. buy the right tool once ,, and dont look back..:greenchainsaw:

I'm running a used Swisher 22 ton, picked it up used for 500. Haven't had any issue w/ it. Father still has the 12 ton Roper that I grew up using...that little bugger has split ALOT of wood, 12ton will do it just have to think about the tough ones a bit.

Back